Oil light on...help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light on...help!!

Okay, so Thursday I was riding home and my oil light came on. I new the bike was a little low as one of the cooler fittings had come loose and was leaking oil.
    So I filled it up and fired the bike back up...light stayed on. Yesterday I undid the oil cooler pressure line and ran it into a container and started the bike. Oil pumped out like mad but the light stayed on!!
    Today I decided to take the bike out for a ride. Light was on for probably a mile then went off! Cool beans. But then after shutting it down and starting up and riding another mile or so....back on.
    So....I know that there IS oil pressure since the oil pumped out the cooler line. I know that there is plenty of oil in the case. What I don't know is if this is something common? Can debris get in the line and cause the light to go on? The brake/tail light is working fine so I don't think it's that. I'm hoping that it's just a wiring issue somewhere. The wiring has never been hacked on this bike so I just dunno.
    Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA
    James
    '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

I've had the light checker unit (under seat near battery) act a bit flaky on my 79SF, causing the oil light to come on. When I wiggled the wires going into the unit, the light went off. I twisted the wires and the light functions correctly now. JAT
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Schweer View Post
      Okay, so Thursday I was riding home and my oil light came on. I new the bike was a little low as one of the cooler fittings had come loose and was leaking oil.
      So I filled it up and fired the bike back up...light stayed on. Yesterday I undid the oil cooler pressure line and ran it into a container and started the bike. Oil pumped out like mad but the light stayed on!!
      Today I decided to take the bike out for a ride. Light was on for probably a mile then went off! Cool beans. But then after shutting it down and starting up and riding another mile or so....back on.
      So....I know that there IS oil pressure since the oil pumped out the cooler line. I know that there is plenty of oil in the case. What I don't know is if this is something common? Can debris get in the line and cause the light to go on? The brake/tail light is working fine so I don't think it's that. I'm hoping that it's just a wiring issue somewhere. The wiring has never been hacked on this bike so I just dunno.
      Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA
      James
      Pull the oil pressure sender out of the case, in the center right next to the oil feed tube that goes to the head, and check the oraface for blockage (AKA crud ) that might keep oil from getting to it. It should just unscrew out.

Is your engine making low oil pressure noises? (knocking, rattling)

Greg

Comment

Check

The connection to the light checker like Phil said. It's behind the left side cover. Mine did that once, freaked me out.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

cool. thanks guys. that's a load off that it's happened to someone else. Nope, NO rod-knock or anything. Thank GOD!! I've ridden it about 30 miles since it came on....and after checking for oil pressure and the engine still runs fine. I'll check the wires and clean out the sending unit.

Thanks again,

James
          '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

Working...
          X