Fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel line

Well i got my Motion Pro premium low permeation fuel line from Dennis Kirk today in the mail.Grey in color but very stiff to use.No matter what i tried they were nearly impossible to get on my Pingel Petcocks.Took a lot of swearing,a couple of items being thrown about the garage but did manage to get them on.Now my fingers are bloody from trying to get them on.This fuel line had to be the most difficult line i ever worked with.There has got to be something more flexible than what i ordered.I finally had to take a piece of the line and put it in boiling hot soapy water and then i rinsed it in the hot water to get it on.But there has to be something out there more user friendly.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Oldyam - I've found a little squirt of WD-40 in the end of stiff lines makes them a lot easier to slide into place. It'll help keep the skin on your fingers too .
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Fuel Line

I use the yellow Briggs and Stratton fuel line sold at my local auto parts store. Very soft an flexible, just can't make sharp bends with it.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Try Tygon.
        The stuff works great.

I found some at the local dirtbike store. Dennis K has it too, I think.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
          Try Tygon.
          The stuff works great.

I found some at the local dirtbike store. Dennis K has it too, I think.
          I actually broke down this last week and bought the Tygon stuff. I went to O'Rielly's, and asked for 1/4" Lawnmower fuel line. The guy took 20 minutes digging through boxes in the back room and finally found 3 different sizes of bright yellow stuff. When he rang it up, even he was surprised at the price. Something like $2.35/foot! I almost let him keep it, but he had already done so much work trying to find it, and he had already cut my 10' piece of it, so I bought it.

It actually is very flexible, and fits all the fuel nipples on the bike very well. No more hose clamps needed, and it just pressed right on! It's bright yellow, but behind the carbs and the petcocks, with the stock airbox, you can't see them unless you are really looking. I guess now we'll just wait and see how long the stuff lasts...
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I actually broke down this last week and bought the Tygon stuff. I went to O'Rielly's, and asked for 1/4" Lawnmower fuel line. The guy took 20 minutes digging through boxes in the back room and finally found 3 different sizes of bright yellow stuff. When he rang it up, even he was surprised at the price. Something like $2.35/foot! I almost let him keep it, but he had already done so much work trying to find it, and he had already cut my 10' piece of it, so I bought it.

It actually is very flexible, and fits all the fuel nipples on the bike very well. No more hose clamps needed, and it just pressed right on! It's bright yellow, but behind the carbs and the petcocks, with the stock airbox, you can't see them unless you are really looking. I guess now we'll just wait and see how long the stuff lasts...
            The stuff I got is solid grey. The only downside I found is that it will flatten if you bend it too acutely. I solved that by using fine wound wire material on the bends. It keeps it nice and gentle and maintains the roundness of the tubing.

XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

I found out that if you take the fuel line and put it in hot water i can get the line on the petcocks a lot easier because it will stretch .
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I get my fuel and vac hoses from Camcubes on e-bay. It factory stuff and not too pricey. Typically comes in a single length that you cut to fit.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Wow guys. Seems like a lot of work for such an "inexpensive" part. Buddy up with a local bike mechanic. My dad and I got some for free from a guy my dad used to ride motorcross with. It was just a few scraps lying in a guys toolbox at the dealer/bike shop, but it was enough to get the job done on his E.

Also note... the salesman will always pretend to be your friend
                  Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                  '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                  '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                  '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                  New steering head races and bearings
                  '78/'79 standard wire harness
                  Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                  T.C.'s fuse block
                  PNM Coils
                  7mm Dyna Wires
                  NGK Resistor Caps
                  Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Originally posted by xs11bobber View Post
                    It was just a few scraps lying in a guys toolbox at the dealer/bike shop, but it was enough to get the job done on his E.
                    The problem is that when using the octy, you need a LOT more line to do the job. I think I ended up using about 6-7 feet total. Of course, not too many bike mechanics in my life, and most take one look at a 28-year-old bike and turn up their nose.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X