More newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More newbie questions

I am looking for an XS1100 Standard and was wondering what model years were actually imported. 1978-?

Also, I was wondering, how to reliably detect the "2nd gear" issue during a test ride.

Thank you in advance!
    Armin
    2018 Suzuki DR650, no XS1100 right now.

The Standard models were produced and imported from 1978-1981. As for detecting a 2nd gear issue, give her some hard throttle in second and see if there is a "skipping" in that gear. Most of these bikes will develop a second gear problem at some point. The good news is that it can be fixed without splitting the cases, and there is a simple modification that can be easily done to prevent it from happening again.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thank you, bikerphil!

Is there a 'typical' mileage when the 2nd gear issue appears and does it happen with all model years?

Are there step-by-step instructions how to fix this?

Best,
      Armin
      2018 Suzuki DR650, no XS1100 right now.

Comment

Armin,

I test rode my bike knowing about this second gear issue and did not detect it because I took it pretty easy on the throttle compared to what these machines can do. It was not until I had the bike about a month and did some pretty aggressive throttle twisting in second that I found the problem. Did not show up until I took it over 5k rpm, then it felt like a machine gun hitting for a few seconds then it would catch.

I have heard/read of about every model of every year at all different milage having it occur to it. Really depends on how hard the PO throttled it. My 81 Special model had 23,000 and had the problem. Steppenwolf is the original owner of his 80 special with over 80,000 miles on it and has never had any issue with 1st or 2nd gear, but he is very gentle on the throttle.

As to the repair, look under the "tech tips" section on Repairs under Transmission for the 2nd gear dremmel fix article, very detailed step by step directions on making the repair.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

No, there isn't a "typical mileage" when the second gear issue rears its ugly head. It just happens.

The following link is to the dremel fix for second gear. Good luck and welcome to XS11.com!!!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5090
          If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

No typical mileage, and it's not JUST second gear. Mine had the issue with 3rd gear when I bought it, then developed in 2nd, then also got it in 1st gear later. It's a great learning experience to dig into the tranny though. It was my first ever experience with bikes, and I just dove right in. Plenty of help here on the forum if you get stuck.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Tranny issues

I just bought an '81 Special with only 10.5K mi. and both 2nd and 1st are shot. Engine sounded really nice after we got the carbs dialed in, tightest engine I've heard in a long time. I own/ride an XJ and a G and this one is really quiet. Yet, you put it in gear, ease out the clutch, and the gatllin gun goes off......darn I thought I was going to get a break on this one, no such luck.
              Well, I guess it's back to the G's restoration until I have time to dig into the tranny. Pics pending.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
              X