Fuel Injection on a KZ1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Injection on a KZ1000?

I recently found out that in 1980 KZ1000's had fuel injection... Does anyone have any experience with this bike or the system? I was just wonderin if there are any useful components (fuel pump) that might make FI'ing a XS easier...assuming you can find anything left from them. Also, any comments on tune-ability? Im just cerious if it would be a cheaper alternative then megasquirt and what not... Thanks.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

They did have an FI bike (GPZ I believe) but it was very crude and probably very set up for that bike only. Every bike is different and you'll need tunability for an FI conversion. And, like you already mentioned, damn near impossible to get your hands on.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

My friends 1985 voyager/ kz1300 is a fuel injected inline 6. My .02
      Dan
      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

There are some KZ1000 EFI manuals that come up on ebay from time to time. I have one of the two for the series, bought it with the idea of adapting the system to my XJ. Mine is the maintenance manual, the other covers theory of operation and has other technical data in it. That is the manual I don't have.

Complete systems used to come up for sale; have not been checking on them for some time now to check prices and such, but that might be an option. Right now there is a set of injectors on ebay for a GPZ1000, price is at $150.00 but you also need a 'brain' (like the Megasquirt controller) plus a fuel pump and wiring...
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. From what I have read, finding an inline fuel pump seems to be a hard to find item. Has anyone made a build list for FI? I read somewhere IIRC that a GSXR throttle body is a direct fit. Im interested in knowing if there are any compatible automotive components like injectors, sensors, electronics (ECU?) ect, that might work. Maybe it makes more sense to start with FI components from newer sport bikes? Thanks.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

As I recall the KZ1000 with EFI didn't sell well but it ran great. It would auto adjust mixture so you could open up the mufflers and put on pods and the mixture would stay spot on.

Tony
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

WMarshy: If you have not already come across it, you should look at this thread:
              http://users.hal-pc.org/~dhutch/
              "Stan's EFI project for an XJ". It goes through all the things Stan needed, including parts for an electronic ignition system, to put EFI on his XJ. Lots of good information!
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

i am getting ready to put a unit together http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community
                careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Working...
                X