Welding the cracks in mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding the cracks in mufflers

I have a left side muffler that broke most of the way around the shell. I thought i saw somewhere that this was common back close to the rear pegs where this one broke. My question is: can this thin metal be welded, or should i just look for a left side muffler?
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

I am pretty sure that it can be re-welded. My pipes have been re-welded before. Just about any local garage can weld it for a few bucks. It probably wont last a lifetime like some pipes are garunteed to but it will save you some money.

Comment

MY right side muffler on one of my XS11's cracked right at the collector. It is very thin steel, but I good welder can fix it. My neighbor welded mine for me and it came out fine. Pick somebody good, though. The welder can do a lot of damage to that thin metal if he/she doesn't do it right. The thin steel will just melt away and leave a bigger hole if the welder doesn't know what he is doing.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Russ79 welded one side of mine, then the other side cracked half-way around a month later, just under the heat shield. I rode over to a local weld shop, and they MIG welded it back together while still on the bike for $20.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I've welded mine and not had a problem since.
          Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
          '07 FJR1300

Comment

Derwat has welded a couple of sets, so far. None have recracked.

One thing I have found, is that a lot of these bikes have the rear mounts tightened to the point where they are bolted solid to the footpeg mount. Either the rubber damper is missing, or crushed to the point it can't do anything.

This creates a stress as the vibrations of the motor can't be dampened by the rubber.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
              MY right side muffler on one of my XS11's cracked right at the collector. It is very thin steel, but I good welder can fix it. My neighbor welded mine for me and it came out fine. Pick somebody good, though. The welder can do a lot of damage to that thin metal if he/she doesn't do it right. The thin steel will just melt away and leave a bigger hole if the welder doesn't know what he is doing.

Patrick
              Yes they can be welded, both of mine are, but like the quote above, use a good welder. The metal will burn away if too hot and then it gets ugly fast!

Comment

When I had a similar problem opn my XJ, around the crossover pipe, the local shop brazed it instead of welding it.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Has the brazing held up well? Might be a good option.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I pulled the exhaust off yesterday, and it is a mess. The muffler is completely broken off. Someone haywired it with a piece of pipe in it. The rear mount is all that really he would guess that i am in search of another left side muffler. I'll take it to the shop and see what they say, but i think it is kind of like resurecting the dead.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

They might be able to take a strip of metal or larger diameter pipe and weld everything back together, but it might not look to pretty. Finding a midnight exhaust, or even just muffler, is pretty tough.
                      Harry

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Has the brazing held up well? Might be a good option.
                        I replaced the stock exhaust with a Jardine system a few years back, but had the brazed mufflers on for a couple years and about 15K miles with no problems.

The opinion of the guy who did the work is that the brazing would add extra material to a spot that was prone to brakage due to corrosion or vibration. Since the brazing is primarily brass it does not corrode like steel and adds a layer of thickness to what is otherwise a mechanically weak joint. Polish it up and the brazing doesn't look to bad. Price would have been the same for either method.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I have seen some that have been welded up and break right next to the weld in short order. Maybe you are on to something.
                          Harry

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have not done brazing for quite a while. I think i'll give it a try. I used to be pretty good at brazing.
                            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Some of the "new" rod they use for TIG welders will do a GREAT job. The down side is the joint needs to be VERY clean for the brazing to hold. One little flaw and the joint is weak. I found this out in welding class, trying to braze together two CLEAN 1/4" steel bars.(class requirement)
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X