Factory Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Paint

Does anyone know where I can get Factory Color for my 1979 XS1100? It is Black Gold and I was thinking about repainting the bike and sidecar as a winter project. Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Mooseman
    79 SF

A lot of automotive paint stores can match paint. They just need a sample. Like a side cover or maybe your tank to look at. HTH.
    Dan
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

If you can'' get a match you like at an auto paint store or you just dont feel like fooling around with all the modern paint systems for such a small job, you can get a very good job with Duplicolor Paintshop paint that is available in many automotive parts stores or online. I have used it before and even though it is a laquer type finish, it can be sprayed over most any factory finish without worry of lifting the paint. It is really easy to use and the results are very good.

You can add about a teaspoon of gold microflake to a quart paint gun cup of clear (throw a few marbles in the cup to help keep the flake agitated). Spray one coat of clear with flake over black and Voila! Then cover it with a few more coats of plain clear. Gold microflake is available at paintwithpearl.com.

Makes a good job that should last you many years if you keep it waxed and you can do the whole thing for about $60.00 including the flake.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I have a similar question, but no sample to go off of. What should I call the 50th anniversary Yamaha Yellow when I go to the local paint store?
        BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
        80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
          If you can'' get a match you like at an auto paint store or you just dont feel like fooling around with all the modern paint systems for such a small job,
          One more thing to add, my local automative paint store here also has an aerosol machine...meaning they can make it into spray cans for you. Just go in and ask, you may be supprised.
          Dan

Daveyg,
          Some advice for you, maybe print something off and bring it in. If not, they might have one of those new fangled computer thingeys!
          Last edited by barberad; 10-12-2009, 09:41 AM. Reason: more info
          Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
          Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
          while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

"What should I call the 50th anniversary Yamaha Yellow when I go to the local paint store?"

What year did it come out?

Back in the days when the XS was built, Yamaha didn't use codes, like we see today.

However, most of the newer colors have codes. You would have to go to the information for the bike you want the color from, though.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
              ...However, most of the newer colors have codes. You would have to go to the information for the bike you want the color from, though.
              Well, it was used on the 50th anniversary R6... In 2005 if I remember correctly. How would I go about looking up THAT model's color code? Is there a web site with these codes listed? Thanks fellas!

Comment

This site doesn't list bikes, but it has just about any color
                of auto paint ever made, in all types also.
                http://www.tcpglobal.com/Restoration...surethane.aspx
                John
                Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                '78 CB750F ( The F)
                '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                Then: '76 CB550K
                '78 CB750F
                '84 VF1100S
                And still Looking!

Comment

Thanks for the link. Now to continue with this thread hijack by asking which would go better with the classic "yamaha filmstrip" as I like to call it, the daytona yellow or speed yellow?
                  The left image is the daytona yellow, the right is the speed yellow, and the 50th anniversary R6 is the bottom pic.

Now that I see them side by side I think the daytona yellow would be the way to go.

Comment

Well I say the Daytona is closer to the R6, But I prefer the Speed.
                    John
                    Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                    '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                    '78 CB750F ( The F)
                    '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                    New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                    Then: '76 CB550K
                    '78 CB750F
                    '84 VF1100S
                    And still Looking!

Comment

I think you should go with "School bus" Yellow.......
                      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                      Windjammer(wiring issues)
                      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                      New paint/brakes to come!!
                      ===============
                      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                      ===============
                      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                      Stock Pilots/125 mains
                      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                      LED Brake Lite
                      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
                        I think you should go with "School bus" Yellow.......
                        Ummm... How about no.

Comment

1979 XS 1100 sf Special Restore -/- Black with Gold Flake

I have searched hi and low for something akin to a paint chip color to match what was on my 1100 and have found nothing. Painting would be easy if I went with a custom scheme but with so many done that way I thought I would use this opportunity to preserve the past of this grand old Yamaha. I have an uncle that was once a curator for the museum at Quantico and as a member of the corp I think he would be impressed with my attempt do keep this bike as stock appearing as possible. Maybe if I uploaded or someone collected color swatching and placed them in a photo album members could go to and pick the paint mix by year, model etc. would be use full.

Today mine is a flat brown.
                          79 SF ; 77 XS650D

Comment

When I recently had my 1979 XS1100SF painted, and the painter matched it up to Diamont number MA954.50.

I hope this helps everyone.
                            2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
                            2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
                            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
                            1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Comment

Working...
                            X