'80 XS1100SG So it begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
    Delta facets make fuel resistant "gaskets"? Just a thought.
    It's just an o-ring
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." --HERBERT SPENCER

Active: 1932 Ford Model A; XS1100SF (Just got 'er); XS1100SG; 2000 F250 Turbo Diesel; 2003 Ford Mustang
    Broken: 1999 Kawi Vulcan 750; 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Gonners: XS1100SF (my first ride); '82 Honda CB900F (bored to 1123cc); '86 Kawasaki ZG1000

Comment

Originally posted by Macamon View Post
      It's just an o-ring
      But that O-ring has to stand up to gas or it will disintegrate. Then you will have a leak there. It takes special non-rubber compounds to stand up to fuel, especially this crap with ethanol in it today.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Macamon View Post
        It's just an o-ring
        It might last a little while and be okay in a pinch, but you should eventually get the real thing and not have to deal with it again for a long time down the road.
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on painting both tanks within the next 6 months so I would probably have discovered that... But if I wasn't, you probably would have saved me a huge headache. I plan on using one to get the ID and OD to order the ones I put in my F250. they are hella good o-rings and would probably be less than $4 too
          "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." --HERBERT SPENCER

Active: 1932 Ford Model A; XS1100SF (Just got 'er); XS1100SG; 2000 F250 Turbo Diesel; 2003 Ford Mustang
          Gonners: XS1100SF (my first ride); '82 Honda CB900F (bored to 1123cc); '86 Kawasaki ZG1000

Comment

Been a while since posting on this thread. I have been pretty busy with a certification I'm working on and haven't wrenched on anything lately. I forgot where I posted it but I took my '80 to a mechanic (JBJ of Anaheim, CA) that was highly recomended by a friend. I figured I'd have him straighten out the front end, adjust the valves, and generally try to get the bike running better.

What I got was a half a$$ job and my throttle cable was loose (fall off loose) Vaccum hoses were mixed up, screws not completely replaced, and my horns were left unplugged. Basically the mechanic, Neil, has no business wrenching on bikes; he's a hackney mechanic at best.

I complained of the problem and took the bike back, it was backfiring and I was pissed about the things he left incompleted.

What he did was replace the intake ports (which I think were fine) with some piece of junk aftermarket parts and charged me more than it would have been for the OEM parts. In the process of this he damaged my fuel hoses by pinching them off with needlenose pliers and cut off the part he damaged when he reassembled the bike incorrectly (how can you not get the fuel system right with a diagram on the bottom of the seat????). Now the hoses are too short so he just put them back however they would fit.

Two weeks later I got a wiked fuel leak and decided to see what was up. ... ...

I just got the Tygon hose that Marshall suggested and replaced the entire fuel hose system. I will be going through the whole process tomorrow on my '79 so I hope to have measurements for future octy rebuilds on specials.
            I wasn't impressed with my fitment though, What I wound up with was a kink in the hose from the T to the petcock that I found unacceptable. The result was a 2" piece of stiffer hose from the T to the Petcock that eliminated the possiblilty of kinking.

Now she runs like a scalded dog, but my backfire problem has returned (told you the other manifolds were fine). Now I have to troubleshoot my backfire problem, and I'm done with mechanics!!! bastaaaadz!!!!

Comment

The backfire, if it is on decel, could be your idle mixture screws are turned in a bit too far. I hope your mechanic didn't fool too much with the front end.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X