fork caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork caps

Has any one remove the fork caps and find no o-rings? I had to heat mine up and wrecked the caps taking them out. The caps looked like some sealer was used on threads. Also has anyone used standard caps to replace the air fork set-up? What am I losing by going with oil only? Thanks Den

You can run no air if you want to. Most replace their factory springs with Progressive ones if they run no air. Beware of switching caps from different models, they have different threads.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You may have to experiment with the oil weight to get the results you are looking for.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

air is old school, progressive spring and iirc 15 wt well be the new suspension!
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The progressive fork springs take more fork oil
          than the stock springs, which is why air isnt
          required in them, from memory its 5 3/4 inches from the top
          of the fork tube.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

"air is old school"

But offers near infinite adjustability.

If you want to go 'new school' use nitrogen in your forks, instead of air.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
              If you want to go 'new school' use nitrogen in your forks, instead of air.
              Or use Helium! That would lighten up the suspension though, wouldn't it?
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Nitogen is used because it is inert (doesn't promote oil foaming) and has a larger avg molecule size than air, so it leaks out less.

Not sure what helium would do.

Lot of mfgs make N2 shocks, and many people now use it in their tires.

'05 ST1300

Comment

FWIW i did the progressive spring thing, I used 225 cc of 10 wt fork oil IIRC and my girl rides just as smooth as you can please.
                  1980 XS11SG
                  Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                  Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                  ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                    Nitogen is used because it is inert (doesn't promote oil foaming) and has a larger avg molecule size than air, so it leaks out less.

Not sure what helium would do.

Lot of mfgs make N2 shocks, and many people now use it in their tires.
                    Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic. I had never heard of using Nitrogen for that. I was just making more sarcasm with the Helium thing...
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Heh, np. I am amazed you've never heard of nitrogen charged shocks!

They've been standard in most off-road or racing vehicles since the early 80s, and are now on many production cars and trucks.

Putting it in tires is only about 10 years old, I think.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Well, I've never raced, and never done any off-roading of anything. My motorcycle experience began just over 1 year ago. I've done automotive stuff since I was a kid though, but never touched shocks.

However, I only heard of using Nitrogen in tires less than a year ago, at a Saturn dealership.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Yes, the use in tires is relatively new, and not very prevalent. People would rather fill thier tires with 'free' air, than pay for something that is just going to leak out.

There are benefits to using nitrogen in tires, though. Nitrogen has a lorger molecule so it will leak out less, requiring less checking of the tires, and it runs a cooler, making the tires last longer, and more pressure stable. Air, in tires, heats up over a larger range making them more difficult to keep at an optimum pressure.

Chances are the shocks on your car or truck are nitrogen charged.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                          X