Starter clutch fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter clutch fix

This spring I fried my starter clutch when my clutch belcrank snapped. To get home, I was using the starter to get the bike going and the starter clutch is completely gone. Luckily, I had installed an 850 kick lever a few years back and I've been kicking it (yes Duane, I'm still kickin it).

Anyway, i'm going to repair it this winter and I was wondering if anyone has used the Parts-n-more kit and how the results were? For extra insurance I may order the OEM springs, but the OEM dowels and pins are too $teep.

While I have the cases split, I'll check the mains / rods and change the crank seals. I know the tranny dogs are perfect, I had the oil pan off two winters ago.

So, do I go Parts-n-more or open a vein an go to yamaha?

Bump

Now I know someone has repaired their starter clutch

Comment

I used the kit from them and didn't see anything wrong or different from what was in there OEM. I haven't heard back much from the guy I did the fix for, so can't tell you of the longevity, but it looked/seemed like a solid replacement and worked well when I tested it afterwards. The springs were longer than the ones that had been in there, but those had been in for 30 years. I don't know why you'd need different than what comes with it, but if that makes you feel better, then do it.

What I found, was the actual wear was most on the clutch shaft thing that the rollers contacted (The part with the gear on it). It took a long time spinning that gear in my hand with emery cloth in the other around that shaft to clean it up. Rigging it up in a drill somehow would definately be easier...

Sorry I hadn't seen this post before.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks, Tod. Yeah, I kinda figured that the wear would be on that gear, but I've never had one out. I suppose if it's not too bad, I can chuck it in my drill press to make quicker work of cleaning it up. But I have another shaft on the way and I'll begin with the better of the two gears.

Comment

Sorry Randy, I somehow missed this post also. I myself have not had to do any work on a starter clutch but can give you this much info, when I found the Black Dragon and bought it there were several handsfull of reciepts in the fairing pocket and one of them was from PNM for a clutch drive. It has apparently been in there for several years and still works quite well at this point. Cold weather will sometimes cause it to stick/slip on the initial start attempt but it always works on the second try I have never worried about it, that and the fact that the OEM one in the Fire Dragon does the same thing makes me think it is just a characteristic of the beasts.
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
          X