Clanging, Knocking, Pinging noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clanging, Knocking, Pinging noise

It sounds like an exhaust pipe is loose and banging against the head while it's idling. It's worse when it's cold, is gone completely when good and warmed up to running temps. Just started recently. Nothing on the front of the bike is obviously loose. The only mechanical thing that's been done to the bike recently was the Cam Chain Tensioner Fiasco But Ivan helped me fix her up after that, she ran better than ever after, (even had less noise on the top end after). Where should I start? Should I readjust the tensioner again? (correctly this time )
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Check your heat shields.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

noises

HI,do a carb synch.I had noises I couldnt locate,almost sounded like rod bearing noise or clutch basket.I did a carb synch described in the tech section using bread tie wire.Its a starting point but the bike ran so well and quiet afterwords I didnt bother with vacuum synch.Good luck,Brad

Comment

afterwords I didnt bother

You might be pleasantly surprised if you do.

Noises are hard to diagnose over my computer screen ...
        BUT if have any question about your tensioner, turn the crank around to it's mark, then pull the tensioner w/o loosening the adjusting bolt and lock nut.
        With it in hand try pushing the plunger in. If it moves without mega force then the adjusting bolt either was not torqued properly or may be stripped.

mro
        Now if Prometheus were here he’d just eMail me the blank envelope which I would open on my screen, place my forehead on it and know the answer. (Um.. Not sure if I am supposed to be giving out guru secrets )

Comment

Hey, I have a device called an "EngineEar" which is excellent at finding noises. I will stuff it in the car sometime next week and bring it over after work.

Any night work better with you? FWIW Tuesdays are 39 cent wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. I can't do Mondays though, since I have to run the rug rats to scouts.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
            You might be pleasantly surprised if you do.

Noises are hard to diagnose over my computer screen ...
            BUT if have any question about your tensioner, turn the crank around to it's mark, then pull the tensioner w/o loosening the adjusting bolt and lock nut.
            With it in hand try pushing the plunger in. If it moves without mega force then the adjusting bolt either was not torqued properly or may be stripped.

mro
            Now if Prometheus were here he’d just eMail me the blank envelope which I would open on my screen, place my forehead on it and know the answer. (Um.. Not sure if I am supposed to be giving out guru secrets )

Hey Mike,

"WE" used to non-chalantly recommend removing the tensioner for this sort of thing, but after what happened to Tod and Bohn in this thread...Got Defeated.., "we" feel that if one is to remove the tensioner completely from the engine, that one needs to pull the cam cover off and ensure that ANY excess chain slack is taken up while/before and during the tensioner removal lest inviting the chance of the chain's slack that is created when rotating to the adjusting position can also cause it to possibly drop around the crank sprocket by 1 tooth!

You haven't been around for a while, and you might have missed this thread? Welcome back though!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
              Check your heat shields.
              I only have one on, when my exhaust broke just back from the collector I broke two bolts getting it off, didn't bother with drilling and easy out to take them out and replace the heat shield after getting my exhaust welded back together. FWIW I'll check the other tonight, but the noise sounds further forward. I had just thought since the work had been done recently to the tensioner if that might have contributed. *shrug*

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
              Hey, I have a device called an "EngineEar" which is excellent at finding noises. I will stuff it in the car sometime next week and bring it over after work.

Any night work better with you? FWIW Tuesdays are 39 cent wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. I can't do Mondays though, since I have to run the rug rats to scouts.
              How do you fit all of them on the bike? A lot of bungies? Any night is good for me. I may even just ride over to hutch one evening or next weekend for S's and G's. With the weather turning nasty I'm in no huge hurry.
              1980 XS11SG
              Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
              Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
              ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

turn the crank around to it's mark, then pull the tensioner
                So a problem can occur from removing and then reinstalling the tensioner even if the engine is not moved?
                Will have to check out that thread.

Thanks TC

mro

Comment

Long A$$ post

Makes sense. Part of the reason I've never had this problem is that I always thought that removing the tensionser just to adjust it was a little XSive.
                  But I have taken em off and on without such drastic consequences.
                  Lucky me.

Still, I would want to make sure that there is no problem with the tensioner in this case.

mro
                  I hate having to replace the cover gasket...

Comment

Working...
                  X