**Does anyone do custom made wire wheels for our 11's?**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Does anyone do custom made wire wheels for our 11's?**

I know the "rarest of the rare" the Yamaha GX750 only came in a shaft-driven "Spoked-Rim"...what i wanted to know if anyone has gotten them custom made & has had them operated in a normal fashion? If so....any info would be highly appreciated. Cheers!
    Clobe26's "Dummy-HardTail" Bobber (Ol' Betsy)

• 18" Harley Apes
    • Dual Fat-bob Tanks with Moto Guzzi Petcocks
    • Polished Everything Aluminum
    • Blacked Out & Powdercoated
    • XS850 Front-End
    • Custom Made wiring
    • Hexed Out Bolts
    • Still in Progress.....

Other bikes:
    1972 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
    1971 Moto Guzzi El Dorado
    1979 Honda CB750
    1974 Honda CB500
    1978 Yamaha XS1100?
    1979 Yamaha XS110SF
    2006 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R

I have..

I laced up the rear GX750 hub to a 3.5" x 17" San Remo rim (alloy) with 4.5mm stainless spokes.

The front hub from the GX (is the same as XS650) was laced up to a 2.5" x 18" with 4mm spokes.

The only operating difference is that I found the rear hub to be 10mm narrower, this just needed a bigger spacer on the RHS. I also laced up the wider rear rim so the extra width was to the right to clear the swingarm. I then had enough adjustment in the swingarm bolts to move the swingarm over to compensate. I fitted the rear with a 140 tyre without drama.

As bought from Japan..

If you need any more information just let me know.
    '84 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by clobe26 View Post
      I know the "rarest of the rare" the Yamaha GX750 only came in a shaft-driven "Spoked-Rim"...what i wanted to know if anyone has gotten them custom made & has had them operated in a normal fashion? If so....any info would be highly appreciated. Cheers!
      Hi clobe,
      the front wheel is easy; any of the 3 styles of XS650 wire wheels will plug straight into an XS750, XS850 or XS11.
      The rear takes work. And money. Go with what Shappers did although, as rare as those wheels seem to be, that takes patience as well as money.
      What I'd suggest is cutting the hub out of a cast wheel, welding on two spoke head rings and lacing on the rim of your choice.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

WOW that bike is awesome!!!!
        1980 XS1100G
        Tulsa, OK

Comment

Thanks

And the nice bonus of the rear wheel is that they didn't use that expensive, hard to find wheel bearing. They just put two inexpensive 6204 bearings side-by-side!
          '84 Sport

Comment

head rings

Where can I find the head rings at? Or would this be a custom thing

Comment

Originally posted by arden666 View Post
              Where can I find the head rings at? Or would this be a custom thing
              Hi Arden,
              the spoke-head rings would need to be custom turned and drilled.
              Whoever is turning down the stock rear hub would make the rings to match the annular cut-outs in the hub.
              Then the rings would be TIG-welded in place on the hub with the welder making sure the
              holes in each ring were properly offset from each other.
              This is a precision machining and welding operation and would NOT come cheap.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

rear wheel

Does anybody know of anybody that is capable of doing this? I dont know of anybody that is that percise here in Reno.

Comment

Working...
                X