another n00b exhaust question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another n00b exhaust question...

how the HELL do i get my bike to sound like this?! . this thing is blowing my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a66F3...eature=related
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim
    I came to get down.

Did you see any mufflers?

mro

Comment

I took the muffler off of my 4 into 1 yesterday just for giggles. It sounded exactly like that.

Rattled my neighbors windows.

I shut it down and closed the garage door just in case the cops showed up!

Comment

Yep. remove mufflers, be ready to fight jetting of carbs, and then be prepared to need hearing aids in a few short years. But if that is worth it to you. have a blast at it.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Did he have his helmet on to protect his ears, or to protect his head when the neighbour came to give him a smack!
          1981 XS1100 Special
          Saddlemen Seat
          MAC 4 into 2 Turnouts

Comment

Hi Mbarna,
            like the posts say, bolt the mufflers off.
            If you have a stock exhaust system you will have to saw them off.
            Then when the cops tap you on the shoulder about the noise you can cuff & clamp them back on again.
            My youngest just put a jet kit & pod filters on his XS650. He then unbolted his mufflers "for a test drive"
            Sans mufflers that vertical twin sounds real nice. Loud but nice.
            Luckily for him there are 4 Harley owners on our small block and the neighbors are going to blame them.
            But that misplaced blame can't last for too much longer.
            I must persuade the lad to put his cans back on.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Southhill101 View Post
              Did he have his helmet on to protect his ears, or to protect his head when the neighbour came to give him a smack!
              Hi Southhill,
              I would suppose that as several damnfools have recently been caught by having themselves shown committing unlawful acts on Youtube, the helmet was to protect his identity.
              Didja notice that bikes headlight didn't light up when the bike started?
              Bad alternator perhaps?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

oh hmmm... anyone have any ideas for doing something like this without hacking my mufflers off? maybe drilling the baffles? any have any experience with this type of stuff?
                1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim
                I came to get down.

Comment

The ol' pointy bar trick

Originally posted by Mbarna View Post
                  oh hmmm... anyone have any ideas for doing something like this without hacking my mufflers off? maybe drilling the baffles? any have any experience with this type of stuff?
                  Hi Mbarna,
                  if your Maxim's muffler innards are built like the stock XS650 mufflers the exhaust exits through
                  a bunch of small holes in the sides of the ~1" bore tube at the muffler's rear end.
                  The inboard end of this tube has a sheetmetal cap tackwelded onto it.
                  Under my workbench there's a ~2 foot long busted Dodge Dart front suspension torsion bar.
                  There's a hexagon forged on one end and the other has the typical spiral point
                  that you get on spring-steel that has failed in torsion.
                  I shoved the pointy end up my XS650's mufflers and swatted it with a 3lb club hammer
                  until that inner baffle popped all but one it's tackwelds and hinged open.
                  OK, you don't need a Dodge torsion bar; any old bar you have laying around will do the job.
                  Instant loudness!
                  Not as drastic as sawing the mufflers off but still, "no backsies!"
                  There's no practical way to fix the mufflers back to stock.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

hahaha hmmm.... well, my exhaust is pretty busted and rusted up anyway... might as well give this a try >=]
                    1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim
                    I came to get down.

Comment

Working...
                    X