A little pop in the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little pop in the exhaust

Over the weekend I decided to clean my carbs as I'm going on a ride with some friends next weekend and it was running rough at low rpms. cleaned up the carbs, reinstalled and synched the carbs. runs good but at idol it will pop (a slight burp)just a little not all the time only intermitent problem.runs strong but it does pop some on decell,aftermarket slipons that are baffled. I replaced the header gaskets today and the plugs look good all 4 head pipes are hot. any suggestions on whats causing it? should I be worried? just dont want to be stuck at home next weekend
    1980 Midnight Special Its so fast it blew the gold right off
    mikes xs green monster coils, ss brake lines,
    Previous Bike
    1973 XS650

You've still got some carb issues.

Are you certain thet are properly synced?

Just posted this same thing on another thread.

There is someting in there that isn't clean enough, probably in the pilot jets or the idle mixture screw curcuit. I didn't get rid of that problem until I had completely gone through and rebuilt my carbs.

But that is just me.

Comment

Some popping at idle on decel is normal. There are some scoots that have a decel enrichment valve to help, but the XS doesn't. It can be helped a bit by richening the idle mix screws a bit. I usually just hold the clutch in. Cheap fix eh?
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Some popping at idle on decel is normal. There are some scoots that have a decel enrichment valve to help, but the XS doesn't. It can be helped a bit by richening the idle mix screws a bit. I usually just hold the clutch in. Cheap fix eh?
        I'm guilty of the same. What I was really concerned with was the little pop I hear when the bike is just sitting at idle.not loud just a slight burp
        1980 Midnight Special Its so fast it blew the gold right off
        mikes xs green monster coils, ss brake lines,
        Previous Bike
        1973 XS650

Comment

Yeah, I gotta agree w/ Ivan.

I was having the same issue for a while, finally did some critical screw adjustments... which changed the amount of vacuum at idle, which changed the synch readings... resynched after a good "by ear" tuning, pretty much all gone now.

If you've got a good set of synch guages, adjust around some on each cylinder at a time 'til you hear it hit the "sweet spot", then do a synch. Should fix it.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

i lifted my float levels a little and the popping went away
            careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Working...
            X