popping when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popping when cold

I have my bike running better than it ever has with all your help.
    Only thing it does now is when its cold it back fires and pops thru the carbs. Once you ride about a mile or so it runs super strong and smooth. When its warm there is no problems at all. off the line to redline it pulls very strong. Is it normal backfireing when cold? What could cause this? Thanks in advance.

Popping = lean. Just had a similar problem with a fellow member's bike. It would pop when it was cold but not when warm. It did lack a bit of power though. I raised the floats a bit (richer), now no popping and pulls like a freight train. Carbs have to be clean first though.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by xs11widowmaker View Post
      I have my bike running better than it ever has with all your help.
      Only thing it does now is when its cold it back fires and pops thru the carbs. Once you ride about a mile or so it runs super strong and smooth. When its warm there is no problems at all. off the line to redline it pulls very strong. Is it normal backfireing when cold? What could cause this? Thanks in advance.
      You've still got some issues with the carbs. Have they been properly synced?

I noticed with mine that it did that if it was a little out of sycronization.

Comment

Hey Widow,

Are you using the enrichener when it's cold?? You may not have needed to before with the VM pilots being too rich, but with the proper BS pilots now, you probably need to use the enrichener a few minutes longer before pushing it back in as it warms up!

If you ARE using the enrichener, then either the small pressed in jet in the float bowl may not be clear/flowing properly? Or you may not be leaving the enrichener engaged long enough to ensure proper warm up time?

Also, you might try turning the pilot screws out another 1/4 to 1/2 turn each, and see how it behaves.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I will try tonight when i get home and see what happens. Thanks again for all your help

Comment

Working...
          X