Sefl-cancelling flashers - how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sefl-cancelling flashers - how long?

I know my turn signals are supposed to stop flashing on their own after a certain amount of time so I don't look like a Florida retiree doing a permanent left turn. How long should it take for these to cancel? If they are not canceling as they should, would it most likely be the canceling component or the switch.

BTW, Incubus runs better everytime I ride it. Looks to be a keeper.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

It's time or distance, but I don't remember the actuals. There is a reed switch in the speedo to count dx. I guess one of the black boxes has a timer in it.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

mro
      XS-XJ Super Guru Join Date: Oct 2005

As per the Yamaha manual,
      Generally, the signals will cancel after 10 seconds or 150 meters whichever is greater. At very low speed the function is deturmined by distance. At high speed it is deturmined by time. At low speed especially when changing speeds the canceling deturmination is a combination of both time and distance.

Sometimes it works as planned, sometimes not.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Based on that, mine don't self cancel at all. I'll have to take the switch apart again. Maybe something si hanging up in there. The switch was totally frozen when I started and it still doesn't release when I push the button in. I have to pull it back. I wonder if that's where the issue lies. It would porbably be easier to put another self-canceller unit on there and see if that works.
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

The sensor is in the spedo. It is the seperate piece that has the two wires coming out. I believe they are white. Can't remember. Also, do you have the OEM flasher unit?
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
            Based on that, mine don't self cancel at all. I'll have to take the switch apart again. Maybe something si hanging up in there. The switch was totally frozen when I started and it still doesn't release when I push the button in. I have to pull it back. I wonder if that's where the issue lies. It would porbably be easier to put another self-canceller unit on there and see if that works.
            There is a seperate canceler box that does the canceling, it's not in the switch. Make sure you have the original flasher module as it won't cancel with an after market either. On my 400 (which has the same canceling unit) once it gets hot the auto cancel doesn't work anymore.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

OK, I'm afraid this bike is way past the original flasher unit. That might be the issue. Too bad, that would have been a cool feature to have.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I've experienced a bad cancelling unit before (black module on left frame rail). It wouldn't cancel the signals for the first 10 minutes of riding, but after that it would cancel too quickly. Switched modules and problem solved. Gotta have 'em down here in Florida.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I would think in Florida it would make you stand out, Phil. You are the vehicle that is NOT turning left....

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Yep, very dangerous around here if you leave your blinker on. They'll pull right out in front of you thinking you're gonna turn . Stay off the roads at 4PM. There is a mad rush of them blue hairs headin' out to the early bird dinners .
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Succubus,

Guys are correct... if you've been PO'd previously, or if you've changed to an electronic flasher, that would explain why they won't self-cancel.

Gotta have the old thermal flasher to use the self cancel feature.

I hear you can still get them on ebay at times... $65 or so's all they cost now...

So, all depends on how bad ya want that feature to work I guess...
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I vaguely remember doing a search for an inline power timer type device that could be wired into the power side going TO the signal flasher, so that it would engage and time the power and shut it off after a certain amount of time, at least it would be a time based shut off, vs. none at all with the aftermarket flashers and LEDS!?
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X