Bought an exhaust yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an exhaust yesterday.

I went up by Tulsa yesterday to look at an XJ. I ended up buying an exhaust system.... with a bike attached. lol I couldn't pass up the exhaust. For those of you who saw the thread yesterday, (That somehow got deleted all together??) the bike was laying on it's side on a trailer. I figured they had moved it from the barn like the thread stated.. but it had apparently been on it's side for a long (LONG) time. They said it was running about a year ago. Not really believing that, but it doesn't matter.

Anyway.. here's the most recent acquisition. There wasn't a seat with it.

A REALLY nice surprise, was the this Vetter fairing is in really REALLY good shape... and black, like the bike it will go on.

Yup... I think these pipes will polish up just fine...

And the mufflers look nearly new.

The reason I said that I doubted the bike had run just last year.. besides the fact that the tag was last current in 1999, see if you can tell which side the bike was laying on with the tank facing the sun. Look close.. it's kind of tough to tell..

I'm just not thinking the sun can do that to a tank in a year, but the inside looks pretty good.

There is one small dent in the tank I hope to get out without bondo so I can get it powder coated at some point.

The miles....

And the biggest disappointment.. The hard bags. The one that it was laying on (Right side) is pretty tore up and ill-fitting now. Plus.. having Honda parts on it is almost as bad as Harley parts, isn't it??

So.. all in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I now have a titled frame to get powder coated and get another bike on the road... plus some extra parts. I haven't checked if the TCI works yet, but will soon. I have a spare one of those anyway. I don't figure I got hurt too bad for $250. The motor spins nice and free, but doesn't seem to have any compression to speak of. Possibly just because there's absolutely no oil in the cylinders at the rings, or the valves were stuck open from corrosion and I bent a few turning it over at the crank.. lol.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Nice find!
    Looks like a well spent $250...

I was going to try and talk you out of that tank... especially since it already matches my side covers... faded paint and all...
    but since it has that ding in it... nevermind...
    lol
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

250? the pipes are probably worth that much alone!

nice find
      1982 XJ1100 Stocker with a Kerker header.

Comment

Tod-Tod-Tod,
        I can see that with you I'm going to have some REAL competition in the parts aquisition dept. in this area.

Congrats bro. Hope your going to share some of that with Bob.

Greg

Comment

Hope your going to share some of that with Bob.
          Yeah.. plans are for it to be a donor for a heart transplant on his bike. I have another motor that looks brand new inside to put in mine when (Not if) I blow it up.

Since I messed my pegs up on the right side when I dumped it, this bike's pegs and alt cover will be going on my bike. The pegs on this bike have no scrape marks at all on them. I have a weird feeling that will change..

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

Have you had any luck getting it running yet or have you even had a chance to do anything with it?

It would be driving me crazy not knowing.

:

Comment

No... not going to get this one running. Well.. I will in Bob's bike, but not this one. I'm going to make a 2nd runner using the parts from another complete one I have that has no title. So this one that has a good title is getting stripped down to the frame to get a powder coat, then the parts from that no title bike will go on this frame, along with this Windjammer fairing.

Did I confuse you yet? This bike I just bought is mainly going to be extra parts. Not sure what to do with the untitled frame. (I actually have two of those now)

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

If you ever need a title for anything try this out....or at least call them.

http://title42.com/4.html

They say they can get a title for anything around 100 bucks through the title 42 process and they are located in Tulsa.
                1980 XS1100G
                Tulsa, OK

Comment

That is a better price than many had posted in different areas. I'm sure mine would cost more though, since the title-less bikes I got one bike in Iowa and the other from Texas.

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Congrats on the find Tod. I looked for that other thread this morning to look at the pics and couldn't find it. Nice vetter fairing there.
                    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

That IS an interesting 2-tone paint job! Good deal for $250 though.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Unclefacts View Post
                        250? the pipes are probably worth that much alone!

nice find
                        Ditto on the price for the pipes! And, you got a whole lot of free spares thrown in. Well done!
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Awesome find Tod!

And who would have guessed you for a woodworker to. But you know it is alot easier to just buy dowel rods.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

But you know it is alot easier to just buy dowel rods.

Yeah... but it's a lot cooler to say, "This dowel rod used to be a 1x2 square wooden stake!" lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Nice find...you may want to grab this seat, it's listed as an xs seat but you and I know it's a xj. you may get it and anything else you need for a song.
                              Most of the bike is there for the tacking.
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...=p4506.c0.m245
                              79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                              80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                              80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                              79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                              X