Mac (I think) 4 into 2 installation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac (I think) 4 into 2 installation.

I just got a 4 into 2 setup I'm going to install. I think its a Mac system, I'm not sure. It doesn't say anywhere on it and the person I got it from didn't know, but it looks exactly like what's on Wildkat's bike. She said hers was a Mac.

Anyway,any installation tips? Any mods I need to be prepared for?

I've heard some have had a problem with brake pedal or kickstand clearance.

Any input would be appreciated.

Greg

Greg,

I just got through changing out just the mufflers on mine, and found there are all kinds of little things that can get in the way...

but most seem to stem from the right side, the left was pretty easy.

Center stand and kick stand can be an issue on the left, brake pedal was another.

Stock mufflers have that triangular mounting point attached to them, aftermarkets don't. Mine have a slide bracket on the inside for a "universal" attachment... which complicated things. The "out & up" angle was the toughest, and that has to be done on mine to clear everything. Muffler on the left side didn't want to do that...

Any stress that is placed by moving it into position, once bolted... can cause problems... mine showed up at the weak collectors by breaking.

But, if you have a solid setup in good shape, and you can get it all to clear everything w/o stressing it into position... should be ok.

Recommend welding it up, and w/ a mig, using argon gas.

Breaking a pipe in two on the turnpike is no fun...DAMHIK!

Some aftermarket head pipes can be a problem clearing the oil filter...

Ohhh... it helps also if the muffler tips don't overlap the axle bolts, too. That way you don't have to drop the exhaust later to change a tire.
    Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 10-04-2009, 06:59 AM.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      Greg,

I just got through changing out just the mufflers on mine, and found there are all kinds of little things that can get in the way...

but most seem to stem from the right side, the left was pretty easy.

Center stand and kick stand can be an issue on the left, brake pedal was another.

Stock mufflers have that triangular mounting point attached to them, aftermarkets don't. Mine have a slide bracket on the inside for a "universal" attachment... which complicated things. The "out & up" angle was the toughest, and that has to be done on mine to clear everything. Muffler on the left side didn't want to do that...

Any stress that is placed by moving it into position, once bolted... can cause problems... mine showed up at the weak collectors by breaking.

But, if you have a solid setup in good shape, and you can get it all to clear everything w/o stressing it into position... should be ok.

Recommend welding it up, and w/ a mig, using argon gas.

Breaking a pipe in two on the turnpike is no fun...DAMHIK!

Some aftermarket head pipes can be a problem clearing the oil filter...

Ohhh... it helps also if the muffler tips don't overlap the axle bolts, too. That way you don't have to drop the exhaust later to change a tire.
      Good morning,

I've been in touch with Kat and she sent me some pics of the way her mufflers are mounted. The brackets that came with mine must be the old stock brackets because they are triangle shaped, Kats are pretty much straight.

I don't have a center stand, it was missing when I got the bike. Won't fit with the Kirker 4 into 1.

Oil filter access is one of the reasons I'm changing. It shouldn't be a problem. Had to completely remove the exhaust before.

I'm going to do it at the shop where I work on my day off. I'll have access to a mig and a cutting torch. I'm not welding ANYTHING on the system itself. I might want to change something later.

Thanks Bob ( damned rain)

Comment

Oh hey Greg...

Forgot to mention that I had centerstand issues and brake pedal clearance issues (like Bob said) with this exhaust...

There was a recent thread about how to get around the brake pedal problem:

Brake pedal solutions
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

The brake pedal was one of the things I was worried about, thanks.

Comment

Installed mac 4 into 2 on my 81 special. My new pipes had the slotted hanger mount on the mufflers. Had absolutely no issues and no center stand, side stand doesn't touch the pipes. Make sure you assemble the entire setup on the bike with all the bolts loose, make any adjustments that way, and then start tightening stuff up from the front to the back, as you do with any exhaust system install. Otherwise you'll effectively be prying on things with a fairly long piece of pipe, like the aluminium heads, that you shouldn't be prying on.

Cheers
            1981 XS1100 Special
            Saddlemen Seat
            MAC 4 into 2 Turnouts

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
              Oh hey Greg...

Forgot to mention that I had centerstand issues and brake pedal clearance issues (like Bob said) with this exhaust...

There was a recent thread about how to get around the brake pedal problem:

Brake pedal solutions
              Thanks Kat. I just now ordered the brake pedal you suggested from the ebay link you provided.

Greg

Comment

Working...
              X