fINAL Gear Drain Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fINAL Gear Drain Plug

My final gear drain plug turns but won't unscrew. I am missing a step. Looks to be overfilled..is this sometime to worry about?

Thanks in advance Jeff

Your not missing a step, it sounds like your missing some threads.

Is it leaking now?

Comment

Hey Jeff,

You are talking about the hex head bolt on the Bottom of the final drive right!? Yeap, sounds like you've been PO'd! Take a fine tipped straight screwdriver, and tap it into the space between the head head and final drive, and keep unscrewing the bolt, and keep tapping the screwdriver to wedge it in enough to get the threads to start grabbing to allow you to remove it.

However, once it's out, you'll need to get a self tapping larger bolt to create new threads so get it to seal again, use a nylon washer. Good Luck!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

No it will not tighten or lossen,,just turns..used 19mm socket/wrench

Comment

gear oil seems clear, since not leaking should I just leave it?

Comment

If it's clean it should be OK but eventually you'll have to do what TC suggested. Or replace the final drive.

They are actually fairly inexpensive if you look around.

Comment

a little off topic

Is there an easy way to get the fuel lines off the petcocks? They seem "welded" on there and I don't want to break them.

Comment

NOPE! Just use a flat blade screwdriver and work them off slowly.

I accidentally pulled out one of the brass tubes from mine once. Tapped it back in with a hammer and it's not leaking. ( knock on wood)

Comment

thanks will see now if I can mess up the middle gear drain

Comment

Middle Gear

middle gear seems starting to unscrew like the final, wonder if they were both
                    cross threaded on? Needed lot of leverage to break free

Comment

Sounds like they were grossly overtightened. Or------------------Your turning them the wrong way. Remember---righty tighty----lefty loosy.

Comment

If both of those drain plugs are spinning and not coming out or getting tight they are going to leak. Middle gears and finial drives that do not have gear oil in them are not going to be happy very long. If either one decides its not happy and seizes while you are at speed you will not be happy very long either. They need to come out and have the threads replaced.
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I agree with Wingnut. That is something I would definitely fix before riding. If either of them decided to come loose while cruising down the highway, the results would be a disaster.
                          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

bolts turn counterclockwise but with lots of continous effort..maybe put on and overtigthened with an impact wrench; can't I suck the oil out thr top and replace? I am afraid to do any more turning. The bolts do not seem to be backing out as I turn counterclockwis

You guys are awesome

Comment

You could suck out the fluid, but that does not fix the plug problem. If the threads are stripped, what are the chances of one of them coming out or starting to leak while riding. Get the plugs out and you should be able to tap the holes for new plugs.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X