Oil leaking from front of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leaking from front of engine

Hi, i am new to motorcycles, and am trying to fix up a 79 xs1100.

One cylinder is leaking what i assume is oil slowly. I have tried tightening that collar up, but its really tight already.

My question is 1) how do i fix this? (broad overview) 2) does it matter? 3) could this be causing the smoke that i am getting out the tailpipe?

Sorry this is so vague

Look at the picture for details.

That is your exhaust retention stud. Tightening that will not stop an oil leak.
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by vcgodinich View Post
      Hi, i am new to motorcycles, and am trying to fix up a 79 xs1100.
      One cylinder is leaking what i assume is oil slowly. I have tried tightening that collar up, but its really tight already.
      My question is 1) how do i fix this? (broad overview) 2) does it matter? 3) could this be causing the smoke that i am getting out the tailpipe?
      Sorry this is so vague
      Hi VC and welcome,
      like Succubus sez, that's an exhaust pipe retaining flange fastener. Your exhaust pipes cannot leak oil.
      If the bike runs good, don't let it worry you.
      It may be that oil leakage onto the engine and oil burning in the exhaust have a common cause.
      Time to find and fix this is when the oil is dripping off the fins onto your riding boots
      and you can't see anything in your mirrors except a blue haze.
      Not that bad, you say? Again, don't let it worry you.
      What you can do is brush or spray Dunk or other water-soluble engine cleaner onto the engine
      and scrub the oil stains with an old paintbrush before hosing it off.
      Then ride the bike for a week or so to see how quickly (or at all) the oil comes back.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I had a similar problem on my XS. Turned out the valve cover was leaking and it was running out one of the drain holes hear the exhaust. The drain holes let water out of the head where the spark plugs are. The valve cover would be the first place I'd check, and while I was in there, I'd double check the valve clearances just because I had the cover off
        Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
        '07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
          I had a similar problem on my XS. Turned out the valve cover was leaking and it was running out one of the drain holes hear the exhaust. The drain holes let water out of the head where the spark plugs are. The valve cover would be the first place I'd check, and while I was in there, I'd double check the valve clearances just because I had the cover off
          I agree with Silent. It's leaking from the valve cover and running down the front of the engine through the air passages, or drain holes, by the plugs.

I had exactly the same problem when I made the rookie mistake of trying to reuse a valve cover gasket.

Comment

I'm hoping that after you follow Silent's advice, you'll find it's a simple fix w/ the valve cover gasket... and I just can't tell from the pic if it's leaving a trail down from there.

When I look at that pic... it almost looks like that cylinder's pumping oil out the exhaust...and it's leaking around the exhaust flange. I hope not...
            But you did say it's smoking as well? Blue smoke? A lot?

If so, you may have a broken oil ring in that cylinder.

But, until you can confirm, we'll hope for the best... valve cover gasket's a whole lot cheaper & easier to fix...
            Good luck, and let us know.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

There is a little smoke, not alot, but that could be because i am still trying to tune up the carbs.

I am pretty sure the holes you are referring to drain from the spark plug "bins" to the front, and no, its not coming from there, its coming right out of that pipe area.

Comment

You should take a compression test of that cylinder to start . If it's close to spec than it could just be your valve seal is shot. No need to panic it's fixable but a compression test will tell you a lot.
                BDF Special
                80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Worst case scenario if it seems to be running decent is a bad head gasket.

Can be changed in a day, but if I pulled the head I think I would lap valves and clean it up a bit
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                  X