Vacuum advance reving idle way high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum advance reving idle way high?

I am new to motorcycles, and am trying to fix up a 79 xs1100 regular (non-special) that a friend gave me.

It starts fine, but as soon as it warms up (5-10 secs) it starts to rev up and up and up. I have to kill it before it red lines. I found that if i disconnect that vacuum advance hose that goes into carb 2 it idles fine. . . as soon as i plug it in, the rpms shoot up. I am plugging it into the right nipple, not on the boot. the one on the carb that is brass.

I had thought i solved this a few months ago. . . i thought it was because i had overfilled the oil, that seemed to fix it then, and now that i have some time to work on it again, it seems the problem is back. Any ideas?

Sometimes out-of-sync carbs will do that. I'd check first to make sure they're set properly. Some members have put small restrictors inside the vacuum advance hose as too big an ID there can cause a similar problem. Still, I'd check the sync first.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Another thought,

TEST The vacuum advance POT to make sure it's not leaking. IF it's worn and leaking, then you get a vacuum leak and that throws the carbs out of balance, and can also cause it to run the idle up.

IF the vac. pot is holding vacuum properly, then you might also want to check to make sure that the vacuum coming from the #2 carb isn't excessive....a few folks have reported that someone took a drill to the port and reamed it out too big, causing way too much vacuum even from the carb port. vs. the incorrect intake boot port.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I know I'm just a lowly XSive, but if it's revving up to the point of reaching red line, there would have to be enough fuel as well as air to get it there.

Sounds like something in the carbs to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Another thought,

TEST The vacuum advance POT to make sure it's not leaking. IF it's worn and leaking, then you get a vacuum leak and that throws the carbs out of balance, and can also cause it to run the idle up.

IF the vac. pot is holding vacuum properly, then you might also want to check to make sure that the vacuum coming from the #2 carb isn't excessive....a few folks have reported that someone took a drill to the port and reamed it out too big, causing way too much vacuum even from the carb port. vs. the incorrect intake boot port.
          T.C.
          The port for the vac advance is ported and has NO vacuum at idle unless the carb is jacked.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
            The port for the vac advance is ported and has NO vacuum at idle unless the carb is jacked.
            In light of this, maybe it's connected to the wrong spot. Check to be sure it's connected to the carburetor, and not the rubber manifold.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

[QUOTE=vcgodinich;237010] I am plugging it into the right nipple, not on the boot. the one on the carb that is brass.

The first post.

Comment

I had a very similar problem when I first picked up my XS. Cleaning the carbs worked. I would also make sure that you throttle cable is not caught up on anything.

Ozz
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

[QUOTE=XSokieSPECIAL;237040]
                  Originally posted by vcgodinich View Post
                  I am plugging it into the right nipple, not on the boot. the one on the carb that is brass.

The first post.
                  Ooops....
                  Brian
                  1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                  1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                  remembering the same thing!

Comment

Solved

The problem actually turned out to be simple.

MrOzz was right, thank you!

I had routed the throttle cable incorrectly, so on the center stand if you threw the handle bars to the right, it would bind the cable, allowing it to just pull in, not out. hence the up and up and up.

Messing with the hose for the advance, i would move the bars back to center, fixing the bind. I never thought that moving the handlebars would cause the engine to rev!

Thanks everyone for the tips though!

Comment

Originally posted by vcgodinich View Post
                      The problem actually turned out to be simple.

MrOzz was right, thank you!

I had routed the throttle cable incorrectly, so on the center stand if you threw the handle bars to the right, it would bind the cable, allowing it to just pull in, not out. hence the up and up and up.

Messing with the hose for the advance, i would move the bars back to center, fixing the bind. I never thought that moving the handlebars would cause the engine to rev!

Thanks everyone for the tips though!
                      Follow the yellow brick road.

Comment

Good catch, Ozz.
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Glad I could help.

Ozz
                          Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                          Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                          Pod Filters
                          DynoJet Kit
                          T.C.'s Fuse Block
                          Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                          Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
                          X