stupid ? of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid ? of the day

do you set the floats with the needle inside the shut off needle pressed in of extended out?
    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Just turn it over and let gravity do its thing.
    The weight of the float on the needle is sufficient.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

thanks

ill try that.then ill probally put them on ebay pretty soon if this dont do the trick.
      79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

I see your on a 79 model. It should have the old brass floats, if so,I found that setting them at least 2 mm LOWER than stock will eliminate a rich running situation.
        (thanks Craz)

Greg
        Last edited by XSokieSPECIAL; 10-03-2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Just for clarification,
          raising/lowering the float does affect rich/lean conditions all tho it should be done because other things did not resolve the problem. Changes more than 1mm from spec can cause there own problems sometimes.

When adjusting floats with carbs upside down, lowering them will "richen” em (increase fuel height) and raising will lean it out some.

Stock height, 25.7mm or a @#$% hair over one inch. (78 and 79 BS34 II's)
          Be sure to remove any float gasket that may be stuck to the bottom of the carb and measure from that surface. Check both sides.

Besides the carbs there are a few electrical problems that can fool ya into thinking you’ve a fuel problem. Some corroded connections can cause a weak spark and foul a plug.

The four small wires to the coils have connectors which are located under the front of the fuel tank ((two red white (power to the coils) one grey/white and one orange). These can get just enough corrosion that they will still fire the coil but do so weakly.
          Plug cap screws on to the end of plug wire and can cause problems. A few other things can happen but normally either the engine just won’t run or may run well and have an intermittent problem.

Once you have had the carbs apart a few times and adjusted them they become pretty easy to understand. (Hopefully )

mro
          BTW,
          then ill probally put them on ebay pretty soon if this dont do the trick.
          Got tricky carbs?

Comment

an idea.

if you haven't replaced the float valves in the last 6-8 years you are wasting your time.

the springs in the valves wear and stick, you won't be able to detect this.

this i am sure of. Because i fought with mine for 3 months and pulled the carbs 11 times trying to set them "right"

if you have installed a carb rebuild kit(s) then the factory setting work very well. if the parts are 30 years old..... good luck..

rebuilding the petcocks/octy is also very important and is part of you fuel delivery system, if 1 part fails.... the system fails.

i faught the carbs... then rebuilt (cleaned and installed kits)
            still had fuel problems,....
            Rebuilt petcocks and octy.

I have not had a fuel problem since.

Good luck!
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
            X