mixing fluids and oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mixing fluids and oils

While reading a Chiltons motocycle repair of muti manufactors. I ran across mixing trans fluid and motor oil and then use this as the fork oil ? Any one try this?

The XS is a pretty heavy bike.
    I'd stick to the recommended oil weight.
    Does not have to be "fork oil" tho.

mro

Comment

Originally posted by dbwill View Post
      While reading a Chiltons motocycle repair of muti manufactors. I ran across mixing trans fluid and motor oil and then use this as the fork oil ? Any one try this?
      Hi DB,
      sure it'll work. The viscosity number of the mix will be the proportionate average of the oil & ATF numbers.
      But besides the homebuilt cocktail having temperature resistance it don't need
      and not having the anti-foaming properties it does need, it ain't an economical proposition.
      A quart of engine oil plus a quart of ATF will cost you more than a 16oz jug of genuine fork oil
      and then you have to label the rest of the mix and hope you can still find it next time.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Back in my 'dune buggy' racing days, we used all kinds of oils in the shocks to get different damping rates (along with different damper orifice sizes)

If I remember correctly ATF is about a 7 weight. Not sure why they would mix it with oil, except maybe to get some lubrication.

The older Dexron fluids have very little lubrication ability. Type F has more lube, and Dexron III is very similar to Type F.

Transmission fluid is actually hydraulic fluid, not an oil as we normally think of it.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
        X