Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

So, First of all, Thanks for all the helpful hints on this Site! You guys are awesome for all you do.
    Second, Just bought a 1980 XS 1100 'special' (so they tell me). From what i can tell, it's a bit of a hybrid from what i can tell. The vin starts with 3H3, if that helps. Previous owner(s) have removed the octopus (?i think) and i've bought a standard tank and seat, which bolt on and look great. I'm having a hard time running the fuel/vaccum lines though. Rebuilt the carb, Fuelcocks are cleaned and rebuilt, fluids are changed/checked. I've got it up and running driving it every day... sort of. It's backfiring, and 'sputters' out of carb # 1... if anyone has some helpful hints, i'd appreciate it.
    Thanks!

3H3 should be the 79 Special. The 80 would have slotted rotors, the 79 doesn't. If you're running a Standard tank on your special, hook the left petcock vacuum line to the #2 carb boot. The right petcock vacuum line to the #3 carb boot. Make sure #1 & #2 boots are capped off. The vacuum advance line running from the left ignition cover should be hooked to the port on the #2 carb body. It's on the front of the carb. HTH. Where in Florida are you?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Sorry, maybe I'm confused... That's how it was hooked up before. I must be back to a special Tank. The rounder, lower tank, without the knee cut-outs. Both hookups on the petcock are the same size. The petcocks on the old tank i took off where different sizes... I plumbed them up the same way, but doesn't run as well, AND had to use some splices to get it done 1/4 to an 1/8 i think... .
      Anyway, I'm in Venice, FL; just south of Sarasota. About an hour North of Fort Myers. Where in Broward County are you?
      Last edited by FLryder; 10-02-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I'm over in Margate, west of Pompano Beach. Ok, with the Special tank and no octy, first cap off the front outlets on the petcocks. These are the "prime" outlets which are no longer needed. Next, run a fuel line from the left rear petcock outlet over the air box boots and down between boots 3+4 and connect it to the lower T fitting between carbs 3+4. Run another fuel line from the right rear petcock outlet across the top and down between airbox boots 1+2 and down to the lower T fitting between carbs 1+2. The upper T fittings on the carbs are vents and are attached to the nipples on the air box. Use the on or reserve positions on the petcock valves to let fuel flow to the carbs. When you are done riding, turn the petcocks to the off position. It's a good idea to also run some small inline filters in both fuel lines, they should fit in a staggered fashion above the air box boots. Make sure all 4 carb boot nipples are capped and the vacuum advance is connected to the nipple on the front of carb #2. Make sure there are no kinks in any of the fuel lines or fuel starvation will result.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

The right petcock vacuum line to the #3 carb boot. Make sure #1 & #2 boots are capped off.
          Don't you mean #1 and #4 capped?
          Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
          '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
          '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
          '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
          New steering head races and bearings
          '78/'79 standard wire harness
          Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
          T.C.'s fuse block
          PNM Coils
          7mm Dyna Wires
          NGK Resistor Caps
          Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Originally posted by xs11bobber View Post
            Don't you mean #1 and #4 capped?
            Yep, my bad.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Awesome... I'll try it tonight. One more 'hitch.' I've got no air box. Whoever had it before me put K & N pods on it and (hopefully) rejetted the carbs. The guy at the shop i use told me that if it is running fairly well with the pods, then the previous owner MUST have rejetted it, so i'm hoping that he's right. Irregardless, the top T fittings have hoses that go no-where... just tuck up under the tank, and end. Should i put a filter or something on them? I can't cap them off (already tried, the engine floods and shuts off)... soo... from what i know, it's not good to just leave a vaccum line just open. ALSO, vaccum advance? i'm assuming that's the line that runs out of the Bottom left engine (?) cover and runs up to the carbs. Right now, it's hooked up to the boot on carb # 2. (at least that's how it was when i got it). What a mess this thing is...

Comment

The upper tees aren't really vacuum lines. They're vents for the float bowl and aren't part of any "vacuum" system. They do need to be open to allow the fuel in the float bowls to displace the air. Most people put small fuel filters on them just to keep bugs from crawling inside.

See this thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=vent+filter

The vacuum advance line does not get connected to the carb boot but rather to a vacuum fitting on the left top side of #2 carb. If it's connected to the carb boot then the vacuum advance chatters like crazy.

Comment

Thanks! you just answered my next question, Larrym. These bikes are BAD @$$, but are a big pain when someone has hacked them together...
                  Next question; My bike came with the stock sissy bar/luggage rack rig... Clearly i like the way it looks a LOT better without it, but my fiance doesn't like to ride without it. Anybody do any mods or have any suggestions for a SMALLER sissy bar on the back?

Comment

The vac advance goes to the #2 carb BODY, not the boot. Look by the fuel mixture screw, there's a port there.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Originally posted by FLryder View Post
                      Next question; My bike came with the stock sissy bar/luggage rack rig... Clearly i like the way it looks a LOT better without it, but my fiance doesn't like to ride without it. Anybody do any mods or have any suggestions for a SMALLER sissy bar on the back?
                      Not sure what you mean by "Stock" sissy bar. I don't think there was one. I have a luggage rack with a sliding back-rest on mine, but I wouldn't consider it to be too big. I slide it up to the forward position when riding solo, and remove it so SWMBO leans agains the trunk when she's on there. As far as I'm concerned, anything that makes SWMBO more comfortable riding pillion should stay on the bike!

1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Mine is pretty similar to yours in your pic, but mine isn't adjustable. It's jus always up there. And mine has the big luggage rack on the back. No truck or saddlebags, so it looks kinda funny sticking way up back there....But i agree with you, anything to make the old lady happy (and keeps her quiet) is good with me... (SWMBO?)

Comment

SWMBO.... "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1011

This will help you understand the acronyms we use a lot here.
                          Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 10-04-2009, 07:18 AM.
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

oops...thanks for the heads up... I wanted to thank bikerphil and Larrym too; thanks to your input, myXS is running better than my 99 Cherokee, and I LOVE it... these things are a BLAST to ride!! You guys rock for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                            X