Fairing fit from standard to special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing fit from standard to special

I would like to know whether anyone knows if a fairing off of a 1981 standard will fit the 1980 special. I would think the fit is the same, but i don't know for sure. I have found a great buy on a nice fairing and would like to find out before it goes to someone else.
    Thanks
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

The fairing almost certainly will. I'm not positive about the mount.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

The concensus is that the mount, if original and unmodified, will fit either bike. There was one thread where a poster said his did not swap between the 2, and another where the angle of the fairing was not the same, but it is believed those 2 cases were the result of non-stock (ie modified or bent) mounts. This is true of either the Vetter or Pacifico fairings. If it is another brand I suspect the same sould be true; the XS frames didn't change much during the production run except for the XJ, which has extra 'webbing' welded in the steering head area to reduce frame flex. It did not affect the faring mounts. Minor differences in frames generally have to do with the rear footpeg mounting points (rear sets) rather than the up-front down tubes and engine cradle.

One thing that may be different is the horn mounts. On my XJ I had to relocate them from their stock location. The horns are slightly different between bikes. Generally this isn't much of a problem but is an issue to be addressed.

If you are looking at a fairing, try to get the wiring 'pigtail' that connects any fairing lights to the bike's wiring harness. These tend to be generic and can be built or purchased new for a price, better to get a good one with the fairing if you can.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks folks, i appreciate the quick responses. I think i'll take a close look again and decide. It has a pair of chrome special handlbars with it. The guy said that these had to be used with it to fit, so it sounds like it may have been a standard with special mounts. I don't know, but for $100.00 it may be worth the gamble. The thing looks almost new.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I have one of the ones that didn't quite fit right.

I bought the entire Venture set, with mounts. It has rectangular lights, so it came off of a standard, yet on my bike (80G) the fairing sits too high in the front to adjust the headlight down to where it needs to be.

I had to use 1/4" spacers (nuts) behind the top of the mount to 'tip' the front of the fairing down enough to give me proper headlight aiming range.

The mount is not bent.

BTW the mounts usually have provision for the horn(s) if they would be in the way.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
            Thanks folks, i appreciate the quick responses. I think i'll take a close look again and decide. - - - for $100.00 it may be worth the gamble. The thing looks almost new.
            Hi Newbie,
            quit hesitating and buy the thing! If it don't fit after all and it's as nice as you say you can always sell it on and not lose money.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Lights....

Standards= Rectangular ; Specials= Round
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                I have one of the ones that didn't quite fit right.

I bought the entire Venture set, with mounts. It has rectangular lights, so it came off of a standard, yet on my bike (80G) the fairing sits too high in the front to adjust the headlight down to where it needs to be.

I had to use 1/4" spacers (nuts) behind the top of the mount to 'tip' the front of the fairing down enough to give me proper headlight aiming range.

The mount is not bent.

BTW the mounts usually have provision for the horn(s) if they would be in the way.
                That is interesting as my 80G has the fairing on it and even though everything seems fine, I can't quite get the headlight as low as I would like. I might try putting spacers on the back mounting to see if that works for me. This problem applies to both my Windjammer 4 and 3, both have the same problem. I'll have to look carefully (I have not so far) at the angle of the windshield as compares to the forks, Craig Vetter recomments that the windshield angle match the fork angle.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

That was my problem. I could not lower the headlight to properly aim it. Ran out of adjustment.

Like I said, I shimmed out the top of the bracket, above the 2 main mount bolts, about 1/4".

Now the headlight is pretty much in the middle of it's adjustment arc.

I thought maybe it's because my HID has no upper and lower beam, so maybe the lens was different.

'05 ST1300

Comment

That was my problem. I could not lower the headlight to properly aim it. Ran out of adjustment.

Like I said, I shimmed out the top of the bracket, above the 2 main mount bolts, about 1/4".

Now the headlight is pretty much in the middle of it's adjustment arc.

I thought maybe it's because my HID has no upper and lower beam, so maybe the lens was different.
                    So, did you shim the fairing onto the mount or the mount onto the bike? It sounds like you said you shimmed the mount itself? I was thinking of shimming the fairing at the back mounting bolts, and maybe even using rubber to do it for vibration reduction.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      and maybe even using rubber to do it for vibration reduction.
                      I don't know that rubber mounts would help vibration. It may even cause MORE vibration. The Bunkees on the trunk mount allow the tunk to wiggle quite a bit, and I know that if the whole fairing wiggled that much, I would not be able to stand it. Maybe a small rubber washer would help, but IMHO, the fairing should probably be held as securely as possible to the frame.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

I have rubber gaskets between the lower mount and the fairing, and between the upper clamp and the fairing. Reduces vibration and noise quite a bit. The original Vetter and Pacifico mounts come with 1/8" thick rubber gaskets for this purpose.

I made some for the 80G because they were missing.

I shimmed the mount, not the fairing because I want even pressure along the full length of the fairing so as not to cause stress fractures in the fairing itself. The only way I could think to fo that, while shimming the fairing, would be to make a wedge shaped spacer the length of the mount.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I have rubber gaskets between the lower mount and the fairing, and between the upper clamp and the fairing. Reduces vibration and noise quite a bit. The original Vetter and Pacifico mounts come with 1/8" thick rubber gaskets for this purpose.

I made some for the 80G because they were missing.

I shimmed the mount, not the fairing because I want even pressure along the full length of the fairing so as not to cause stress fractures in the fairing itself. The only way I could think to fo that, while shimming the fairing, would be to make a wedge shaped spacer the length of the mount.
                          Good point! I like the idea of a full-length rubber gasket between the bracket and the fairing itself. Much better support than just small rubber washers.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X