Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issues

I have a green/yellow line, a blue line and a black line running to my tail light. There are two of each.

The front brake turns the light on.
    The rear brake does not.
    The tail light does not work.

I am not an electrician and staying at a Holiday Inn Express didn't help.

Is there an electrical guru who can walk me through this?
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

The Green/yellows are your brake light, the blue is the taillight wire. Black is ground.

On my diagrams and on my bikes, there are two of each color. There should be Y splitters behind/below the tailight assy as well as hookups for signal lights in case you use the Yamaha signal light adaptor for baggers that moves the signals to the licence plate bracket.

Since your front brake lights the brake light, your circuitry is ok to the light. For the rear brake I would check the switch near the rear master cylinder. Make sure it is hooked up and adjusted properly.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I used to have a bit of problem w/ the 6 pin plug on the top side of the rear fender under the seat.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Gotta agree with Craz - If the front lever works the lights, your probably not adjusted correctly at the rear master cylinder. Your looking for something that looks like part #37 in this diagram.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Why do you suppose they stopped building these harnesses? It seems that there are enough on the road to justify it.

New wires and plugs would seem like a worthwhile purchase. No?
          Sam Christensen
          The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
          If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

First thought I had: Is the switch on the rear brake adjusted properly? I have seen a couple mangled springs that required straightening and re adjusting of the switch.

EDIT: just like everyone else said...sorry.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
            X