Slowly updating her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowly updating her

You can see this post to see the condition and what she looked like when I bought her. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24554

So far I have fixed the shifter by replacing the shift return spring. I replaced the speedometer to a 140mph unit. Replaced the dummy lights with ones that had less wear. Fixed the blinkers and brought the originals in tighter to the bike. Added a fork brace. Installed the fuse block that I got from here.

I wanted to show pictures of some of the stuff that I have done and will also use this post to update with new pictures because in a few weeks I am going to be pulling the engine and everything else of of it to paint it. I want to paint the engine black and leave the fins polished and then clear coat the whole thing. Also will be getting the tank and covers professionally painted. Most likely going all black on her, but might go to a very dark blue or purple on the body.

The wiring was a mess. Whoever hooked up the previous blinkers had at least 3 crimped connections in each wire that was not needed at all because the factory wires were long enough. The whole reason that it wasn't flashing was because the lights they put on didn't draw the required wattage, so I 86'd them and decided to go factory. I didn't like how the factory lights looked so I cut them down and brought them in tighter to the bike on both the front and back. I also moved the signals on the front behind the headlamp instead of having them even with it.

Here are the original turn signal units after I cut them down and tapped them.

I put a rubber washer on the front ones so that there was no gap.

Some more pictures.
    [/URL]

Here you can see how they look on the back of the bike when brought in tighter. The only thing that will be changing back here is the brake light. It definitely needs to be brought up higher so that the bottom of the light is flush with the bottom of the fender... I just didn't have time to do it that night. Otherwise I am pleased with how it turned out.

I will be updating this when I get pictures of the new paint. Other then that I have air pods on the list, just to see if I can get room for more tools on it. Some highway pegs and a throttle lock and bags and windshield and all that other stuff that costs money but isn't much work. I like this seat, but it is starting to rust threw in a spot on it. Anything I need to consider when looking for a seat for it?
    Last edited by thebottle; 09-30-2009, 04:39 PM.
    1980 XS1100SG
    1998 KLR 650

UMMMM----- I think this thread got all intercoursed up somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
      UMMMM----- I think this thread got all intercoursed up somehow.
      What do you mean? It looks fine to me.
      1980 XS1100SG
      1998 KLR 650

Comment

There were several posts here about your bike, including one from me before that last one, and they just vanished.

That seat and backrest really look bad. I think you should send them to me. LOL

GT

Comment

Hey Bottle,

Looking GOOD! I editted your post to put the photos DIRECTLY in the post, not having to click and follow LINKS! They are the RIGHT size, so next time, just use the IMG button to insert the actual offsite image URL, not the thumbnails!!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Slim Comfort Zone...

You've got way too much space in that garage. I'd get agoraphobic in there. Can't you pick up a few parts bikes just to ornament the place up a bit? More cozy with a couple frames and engines laying around.

That seat looks funny with no one riding on it. I've got a similar one. The thing is that if you replace that seat with the standard "flat" model then the passenger is gonna whimper and cry if they rode on the bike with the seat you have on it now.

" My back hurts. I can't lean back and relax. I'm tired. Let's go home!"

This may be desirable if you truly intend to ride solo. But if you like sharing the experience I'd say keep that seat and repair the rust if you can.

Comment

I wanted to update with pics of the process from the last few days. I am trying to take pictures kind of like a time lapse or something like that because it will be interesting to look at when I am finished.

Next I will be putting the brakes and wheels back on and then I start cleaning the engine to paint. Oh, and I also painted the brake calipers and that bracket on the back, but the pictures came out blurry.
              1980 XS1100SG
              1998 KLR 650

Comment

Primered the engine:

1980 XS1100SG
                1998 KLR 650

Comment

heat

will painting the engine cause heat buildup or is it a special paint? I didn't know you could paint them like that.

It is gonna look great - are you keeping the burnt orange color? I am thinking I need a nice UT color scheme maybe with a custom longhorn painted in white on the side....

John in San Antonio
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

No, it won't cause any problems with heat buildup. I have painted a few engines like this and never have had any problems.

The primer, paint, and clear that I am using is called Engine Enamel and it can be gotten just about anywhere. It is works good on engines because it is rated up to 500 degrees and is gasoline resistant.

Tomorrow I will be applying the black to the engine and then I will wait a few days to let it cure and then start polishing the fin edges. Apply clear and let that cure and then I can start putting her back together.

I haven't decided on the color of the body yet. Either black, very dark blue, or very dark purple. I am getting that done professionally. I haven't decided but I think I want to get the timing, alternator, bearing, and starter covers chromed as well as the center clutch plate. Trying to find prices on that now... not many people do it anymore.
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    1998 KLR 650

Comment

I gotta go with LarryM here, your garage looks like the aftermath of a wildly successful garage sale. My shop would probably look similar if it wasn't full of things like trucks in various stages of repair, two or three lawn mowers, same shape, six or seven motorcyles some of which I have intention of restoring some day soon, a large collection of aluminum (waiting for the price to go up), one or two snowmobiles also in various stages of repair. Oh, and there is some junk in there somewhere also.

Seriously, that is one fine looking bike, I would not have tried to improve it much.
                      The Old Tamer
                      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Tamer View Post
                        I gotta go with LarryM here, your garage looks like the aftermath of a wildly successful garage sale. My shop would probably look similar if it wasn't full of things like trucks in various stages of repair, two or three lawn mowers, same shape, six or seven motorcyles some of which I have intention of restoring some day soon, a large collection of aluminum (waiting for the price to go up), one or two snowmobiles also in various stages of repair. Oh, and there is some junk in there somewhere also.

Seriously, that is one fine looking bike, I would not have tried to improve it much.
                        It is my step-pa's shop, but yeah, it is clean. We like to keep it that way... put tools away at the end of every day so they are easy to find, sweep up so you don't lay in dust or kick it around during painting, etc. We usually finish our projects quickly in the shop... put in extra hours and get them in and out because there is always something that needs to come in behind it. If it isn't something that is getting worked on every day then it isn't something that needs to be in the shop... it can be in storage. But yeah, like you... a trailer or tractor or car or 4 wheeler... always something going on in there. And it is heated, so that means family and close friends come over and use it when they need to as well. It is very nice to be able to work in it, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

Yeah, you are also right about the bike... it didn't need any work done to it other than the blinkers, starter button, and shifting spring. The brake light I would have changed too because it looks silly, but other than that everything else I am doing for it is out of love . I see it as building a relationship with the bike.... besides, I have nothing better to do right now.
                        Last edited by thebottle; 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM.
                        1980 XS1100SG
                        1998 KLR 650

Comment

I know what you mean, at least my tools and such are usually put where I can find them. It is just that I do some repair work on the side and the jobs tend to show up at some times faster than one guy can complete them and get them out the door.

Would not need so many bikes in here either but Mind Webs got his collection one or two bikes ahead of mine and that was just not acceptable! If you had as many bikes sitting around as Webs and I have your garage would look a lot more accetable to LarryM. LOL.

Keep up the good work and keep up the pictures.
                          The Old Tamer
                          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

How's the engine painting going ?
                            1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

Going well, I have all the black on and have given it time to cure. I am going to start polishing the fins today after work. It depends how much I can get done but I am hoping to be able to clear coat it tomorrow. I will update with pics once I clear it.
                              1980 XS1100SG
                              1998 KLR 650

Comment

Working...
                              X