Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible reproduction of the rear wheel bearing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible reproduction of the rear wheel bearing.

Hello!

I think I may have stumbled upon a way to reproduce the rear wheel bearing. All I need is the CAD drawing of one. I discovered the metallics lab here at my school, and was given a tour of them by one of the TA's and showed me all the equipment...I asked him if it could be done and he said it was very likely it could be reproduced. It would be easiest to just get a CAD drawing but we could also take a 3d scan of one of the bearings also.

So if anyone has a CAD drawing of one or knows where one is, please let me know!

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

B = 23mm
    D = 37mm
    d = 20mm
    F = I'll measure it from a new one tonight

If you can get it done for under $45 each, there will be a lot of happy campers here!

Comment

That's awesome! I will see if that will do the trick, but I may need a 3d model of it...I'll ask...

Also I was thinking of much less than $45. As in the cost of parts! I need to try first and if it works then we'll see how much...

-Rick
      1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The NA5904 bearing is still being made by NTN Bearings in Japan. It took a while but I just got one through E.B. Atmus Co. (ebatmus.com) for $32.14 plus shipping.

Bob
        #1 ’79 XS11 Special
        #2 ’79 XS11 Special
        '97 V-Max
        '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Took nearly 5 months to get the batch I ordered and that's 12 bucks less than I paid, see if you can get a bunch, I'm sure more guys will need them here!

BTW, for those who ordered them, I'll be shipping end of this week!

Comment

Randy, I got mine in the mail yesterday. Thanks again for your hard work on this. Ruffrider
            1979 XS 1100 SF(16k now, more to come)
            140 mains, 42.5 pilots, drilled airbox w/uni fliter
            MikesXS Coils- bypassed ballast resistor- new wires
            1975 GL1000 Gold Wing(81k-Old Faithful) and another 75 GL1000 project. MBS sickness for sure.
            Other Bikes Iv'e owned:
            1979 Kawasaki 750 LTD
            1980 Kawasaki 125 Enduro
            1975 Honda 400f
            1976 Honda CB360
            1968 Honda 160

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
              Hello!

I think I may have stumbled upon a way to reproduce the rear wheel bearing. All I need is the CAD drawing of one. I discovered the metallics lab here at my school, and was given a tour of them by one of the TA's and showed me all the equipment...I asked him if it could be done and he said it was very likely it could be reproduced. It would be easiest to just get a CAD drawing but we could also take a 3d scan of one of the bearings also.

So if anyone has a CAD drawing of one or knows where one is, please let me know!

-Rick
              Rick, Im not knocking you or your school, but from my experience with bearings and knowledge of their manufacturing process it's unlikely that you will be able to produce a bearing of comparable quality. The tolerances that bearing manufacturing companies abide by are quite strict and cannt be acheived (that easily) without the proper equipment (ie. cnc grinding and lapping ect.). Some things are best left to professionals. Good luck to you.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
              X