wth happened now. Geezer. others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wth happened now. Geezer. others

OK when I installed my new pipes I removed the berak pedal. Can't for the life of me remember why. NOw when reinstaling the break pedal it hits directly nto the muffler. Anyone have a similar issue when installing Harley or other pipes? If so what is an easy fix?

THanks,
    Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

I'm running a MAC 4 -2 system on my bike and ran across the same problem with the stock brake pedal hitting the mufflers...
    My solution has been to use a brake pedal from a 920 Virago... It's offset enough so that I no longer have the problem...

Here's a link to one on E-bay...

920 Virago Brake Pedal

Mine is actually off a Midnight Virago so it's black, should you prefer something other than chrome...
    (there's a couple of those on E-bay as well)
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Hey, Gary...

Yep, I know what you're talking about. Had the same issue with the JCWhitney's I put on mine... I had mine all welded up, thought we tacked 'em in place good, first... but something changed after they got welded... if the muffler tries to come straight off the collector, (assuming you have stock pipes), it'll cause it to stick out too far and interfere w/ the brake pedal.
      Had to do some serious tweaking around and rewelding on 'em to get it to clear. Finally did, but man... what a pain! (Plus my collectors are getting pretty thin...

Kat's idea might be the trick if you can't get it to clear.

At one point I considered heating the lever, and trying to bend an offset... but didn't.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

When I put the Dyna's on my bike, I went for a ride. Every time I hit the rear brakes hard, it felt like I had ABS. Turned out the pedal was hitting the muffler and I was getting a vibration feedback that felt like ABS. My solution was to carefully bend the stock brake pedal a little to get a lager offset. I used 3, 1/2" steel dowel pins and a vice.
        Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
        '07 FJR1300

Comment

I had the same problem, but with stock pipes. I just bent the brake pedal away from the muffler. Was easy to bend. Hasn't hit the pipe in 1400miles
          Getty

1980 SG

Comment

My stock MNS pipes now have a scrape on them where my brake pedal was rubbing. I had to make sure I didn't pusk it all the way onto the spline when instaling. I just loosened it up a bit, and pulled it away from the bike on the spline, and tightened it back down. No more rubbing.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

sorry to hear that.

measure twice... cut once....

sorry, couldn't help myself...

yes i had that problem when i first test fit my sporty muffs

my fix was to install longer extender pipes on after the collecters

i tapped the 12" extentions on and measured and looked everything over.
              and cut 2-4" off, sorry don't remember exactly how much.

in the pic you can see mine are mounted a bit further back then most do.
              but i think that a diffferent offset pedal may help, or cut and weld it to fit.
              1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Mindwebs - do my eyes deceive me, or are those 50 cal ammo can bags?

Gary - Carl's got the same problem. He was able to move the mufflers over far enough for the brake to be useable, but it still rubs.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                X