Head gasket and compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket and compression

I've been working on a basket case for some time. I am reluctant to sink any real money into it until I have some prospect of success. I have done a valve job on it and adjusted the valve lash back to specs. The cylinders, pistons, and rings all looked good. Because I was being cheap until I saw some daylight, I re-used the old head gasket, which was not exactly in "like new" condition. Now the compression is a uniform 50-60 across the four cylinders, and the "drops of oil in the cylinder" doesn't change it. Does this indicate a leaking head gasket? The consistency makes me think so, but I'd like some consensus before spending.

Otherwise, I'll just repaint the gas tank again...
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Sounds to me like that's what you got...

Should be anywhere from 130 to 155 I'd think.

You might try a leakdown test... but 50 lbs. of compression's not good.

Only other thing if not head gasket might be valves leaking, bent... something like that, but wouldn't be affecting all 4 cylinders...

I'd pull it and clean it all up good, change it out w/ new gasket. IMHO
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
      the compression is a uniform 50-60 across the four cylinders
      If the carbs are on the engine already, the throttle must be held wide open. Closed throttle will give low readings. JAT
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have re-used head gaskets multiple times with no ill effects. If you had a leaking head gasket, you would have a leak on one cylinder, not all four uniformely.

The fact that the compression readings didn't increase with oil in the cylinders indicates the rings aren't a problem. As stated, for a correct reading, you'll need the carbs wide open, a warmed up motor, and a fully charged battery.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own