Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible regulator/rectifier issue?

If its not one thing its another. LOL

Rev bike to about 5k. Only getting 13.64 vdc at the battery. Should I start thinking about replacing the regulator/rectifier? Battery is at 12.25 vdc without the bike running.

Thanks again all for your help in advance.

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

Regulator is probably ok. Make sure the alt connector behind the fuse panel is clean/not melted. Also check the reg. connectors for corrosion. Make sure the ground at the regulator is clean. 12.25V battery is undercharged. 12.7 is fully charged.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Got Juice?

I agree with Phil. Rectifier prob'ly still good but having to work too hard trying to charge the battery and provide power for the lights, coils, etc.

Charge the battery overnight to bring it up to full and see what the meter reads when running tomorrow.

The job of the charging system is not to charge the battery but rather to provide the power to all the other stuff so the battery doesn't discharge. You can take the bike out for a run in an attempt to charge the battery but it takes a long time to really bring a battery up to full.

A reading of 12.25 volts says that you haven't ridden the bike in a while, the battery is on its way out, or that the "charging" system hasn't had enough time to bring it up to full. (Or that there may be something happening in the charging system.)

Either way it's a good start to get in there and do a little housekeeping.

Comment

When regulators go bad, they usually short and blow out all your lights. Charging system on these bikes have always left something to be desired. Guys that try to run driving lights find often that the bike shuts down after a few hours cuz the battery goes dead on the run.
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Check the rectifier part of the unit. Grab your ohm meter(continuity) and go through the diode check process.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Regulator is probably ok. Make sure the alt connector behind the fuse panel is clean/not melted. Also check the reg. connectors for corrosion. Make sure the ground at the regulator is clean. 12.25V battery is undercharged. 12.7 is fully charged.
            I set up the charger. Battery fully charged at 12.8V. I had all ready cleaned all the connections behind the fuse panel when I changed the fuse block. Still only get a little over 13.5v when rev the bike to 5k.

Originally posted by HobbyMan View Post
            Check the rectifier part of the unit. Grab your ohm meter(continuity) and go through the diode check process.
            I will give that a shot.
            Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
            Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
            Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Working...
            X