Spark plug wire length sensitivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug wire length sensitivity

I have ready many posts on here over the last year suggesting that if you trim 1/4" of wire off the end, and replace the spark plug caps, it will help with spark issues. However, I was always taught (about cars, mind you) that the length of the spark plug wires is extremely critical to the timing of the spark, since electricity takes time to get down the wire from the coil (via the distributor in a car). I was of the impression that the specific length of each wire was crucial for each different engine, which is why they have different plug wire sets for each make/model of car. Why is it that the wires on an XS can be trimmed without any negative effects?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

I think that with the very small distance from the coil to the plug, really does not matter at all.

All sparkplug sets you see for cars have varying lengths, all depending on location to the coil or distributor.

What it comes down to is cosmetic, not having all the extra wire that is not necessary and possibly damaging if flopping around.

our bikes I would think are the same I would make them as short as possible and not even worry about matching lengths. The xtremely minute time and resistance differance is no biggie.
    1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

electricity ,I will use the speed of something happening at the other end of the wire as in an electron entering the wire pushes out an electron at the other end of the wire, there are other methods depending on your definition of electricity and whether it is ac or dc, (play 'she shook me all night long here)travels at about 186000 miles per second or 982,080,000 feet per second so in a wire 1 foot long and taking 1/4 inch from the end should be a difference of .... you may work this out , but I don't think it is a very big number so I dont think it would have much influence on the spark timing Ford makes ford wires and Chev makes Chev wires so you won't be buying from the competitor ( my opinion )
      Jim
      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
      and SOXS
      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

It has been my experience for 40 years that it does not make any significant difference. Even in our race car i used to think that the resistance of each wire would make a difference, but that did not prove out. If you think about it, we are using copper wires (most of us). The spark is only detained by resistance, the lower the resistance, the faster the spark will get there. Cut some off the wire, and you reduce the resistance.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I cut all my wires to different lengths without any problems. I get more concerned about a wire shorting out against the motor, so I try to hang them so they don't touch anything on the way to the plugs.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The main reason there's different plug wire sets for different cars is to compensate for the different placement of distributors in different makes of motors. That and to keep the wires away from the exhaust. Other than that it's all aesthetics.
            Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
            '07 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
            X