Sheet metal fly screen need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheet metal fly screen need opinions

What do you guys think of this? keep in mind this abominaion is supposed to be a cafe racer type bike... does it look racey or like a beat up peice of sheet metal bolted to a motorcycle that a 10 year old cutout?

1980 XS1100G
    Tulsa, OK

Uh, I think I'd have to go with the second choice....

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

if i only had a heart

almost there tinman!! Im thinking if you rolled the edge over for strength and painted it it would look pretty decent although you have a very (interesting ?) palette , silver /orange?
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Sort of looks like American Maid's head dress* . Actually, I think if you ease some of the rough edges and paint it like Garth said, it'll look pretty cool.

I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

A couple questions; whats up with the buttons, and why would anyone not want a tach? If I had to have one or the other, I think I'd take the tach. To each his own, though. Kumbaya
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Red button is the start switch, nuetral light, oil light, and temporary kill switch,......once bike is on the road a handle bar mounted switch will be in place. I'll be going with one of the acewell speedos soon enough which will have the tach and speedo all in one. The edges will be smoothed out just wansn't going to put a lot of work into it if everyone thought it looks stupid. Paint isn't final....just a junk tank I've been playing with until I get a tank that will hold fuel.
            1980 XS1100G
            Tulsa, OK

Comment

My first thought was what might happen if I was riding that and suddenly got thrown over the front of the bike. The top edge of that shield would become an instant guillotine! Might as well mount the head of a shovel up there. Unless there is some kind of quick, break-away mounting mechanisim to that, it makes me rather scared....
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Cat - Your head would probably clear the thing if you went over the bars, but your man parts might not be so lucky . Maybe plastic screws would be in order...
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

It has a different look to it. Similar to the Harley small screens which are outrageous in price.

I should have pics of my finished XS cafe racer this weekend.
                  sinners & saints
                  '80 xs11 special
                  '84 Honda vf700f
                  '75 Honda CB500T
                  '92 Yamaha Seca II

Comment

I'd be concerned about a get-off with that nice sharp edge up there.
                    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                    '07 FJR1300

Comment

about the sharp edge......it's not finished. I have about 15 min. invested in it. Before I went any further I wanted to make sure when I post pics of my bike I wouldn't be burned by my peers. if I go any further with it I'll address the edge with some round tubing split then slid over the edge and tacked on. sort of like this look
                      1980 XS1100G
                      Tulsa, OK

Comment

Now THAT'S creative... Do you change the size of the holes to change the pitch of the note that is made by the air rushing through it? Like a motorized whiffle ball!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Cat,

I'm with you on the guillotine thing. My first thought was that it would take a scoop out of you from your chin to your......onions.

The motorized Whiffle Ball has some potential. Maybe a simple keypad and some old saxaphone parts???
                          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

die hards

AS most of the die hards on here said I would address the rolled edge issue. I read where you stated that you had plans if the Shape/design was sound. As far as the shape and design goes I think it looks good. Worth fabbing the rest up and rolling the edges for sure. Being such a prominent piece the finish/paint will make or break the ok. Take your time and make sure you put the prep work in.

My bike is somewhere between a rat/bobber/brat. I know many of the purist here are very opinionated over cafe/bobber style adaptations. If My bike had potential to become the classic that some of these gentlemans bikes are, I would agree withhe their stance. However, Being the poor soul that I am , I love the fab work of the cafe/bobber style. TCU has some ideas you may or may not like as well as the streetfighters website. I like the direction your going. fab on and keep posting some pics. Sorry for the long rant.

P.S. I agree with the whole carrot peeler idea that they are getting at. Make sure you fab a nice rolled edge and would agree on the break away idea for safety.
                            PPS I dig the ignition/light setup you fabed up. Any info/closeups of this and how you wired it wuld be appreciated.

Gary
                            Last edited by gk45241; 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM.
                            Gary King
                            79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
                            bobbed with love.

Comment

I say build away at your own hearts content. Take creativity to the next level... just on your own level. If it looks good to you, that's all that really matters.
                              Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                              '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                              '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                              '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                              New steering head races and bearings
                              '78/'79 standard wire harness
                              Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                              T.C.'s fuse block
                              PNM Coils
                              7mm Dyna Wires
                              NGK Resistor Caps
                              Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Working...