Electrical gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical gremlins

i jumped on the bike tonight to ride to work.

i turned on the fuel, turned on the key, hit the start button.... and nothing.

i checked the battery charge(good), the kill switch(set to run), Checked neutral (green light was lit)

i can short out the starter relay with my pliers and spin the bike over(turns over correctly) and starts and runs
    but as soon as i pull my pliers off the starter relay, the engine dies.

any idea's?

PS, i have been riding this bike for the last 3 weeks with no problems.
    i parked it for 10 hours and was trying to leave for work again and it no go.

Webs
    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Sounds a lot like a bad ignition swich to me. Is there power to the coils with just the ignition switch turned on?

Comment

After checking the fuses, take a look at the ignition key switch connector in the headlight bucket. Definitely a weak point in the electrical system. HTH
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

ok, i will check, any other thoughts while i'm in there?

i looked at the 4 fuses in the "main" fuse box and all "looked" good.
        i know i need to test them but non where burnt from frying and the centers where intact.

i will check the headlight connection when i get home in the morning.

i will also check to see if coils have power with the key on.

i SUCK at electrical, so please let me know of any other ideas and how to check them.

if it were mechanical.. i'd probibly find it.. but as i said, i suck at electrical.

Thank you!!!
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
        1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

It's ok to suck at electrical we have to learn every thing we know.Most people don't learn electrical because it's hard and it's not worth the trouble unless it's somehow relates to your profession.Looking at the diagram for an SF,I'm guessing you have a bad plug going to/ or a bad handlebar switch.I think you've been around long enough to know the drill.IE clean connections,dialectic grease etc... Good luck and keep us posted.

Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

A friend bought an XS last summer that had a problem like that.
            We went to look at it and the PO said it wont start.We had to jump the solenoid
            and it would run,but take the tweezers(thats all we had to jump it with) away from the solenoid and it would die.My friend rode it home with the tweezers wedged in it.
            It turned out that it had one of the white wires from the stator melted to the exhaust.You couldn't see it form the top.It also had fried the rect/reg.
            I fixed the short and replaced the rect/reg and it runs great.BTW if the reg is fried your headlight and tach wont work.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Good idea's!! Thank YOU!!!

hmm... yup sounds the same...

but when "Jumped" and running the headlight works,
              i have a mechanical tach..

I will check any wiring low on the engine, it's worth checking!!!

Thanks ALL!!

I will go through all these recomendations when i get home in the morning.

I'll keep you posted.

Webs

Comment

Wasn't there some thread a while back about the ballast resistor (78 through 80) being shorted out when that happens?
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Was going to suggest the ballast resistor also,
                  join the 2 wires that connect to it, (red/white from memory)
                  its found under the
                  tank on the left side of the frame.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Found it

Hmm, i didn't check the resistor, (don't know where it is)

But, I did find the culprit!!

Yep should have gotten to dealing with it before known problem arrose

Fuse box. ignition fuse, the barrel clamps for the fuse where not tight.
                    i tryed to tighten them a bit and "snap" went the clip.

i installed an inline sealed barrel fuse holder i had around to patch it for now,
                    but i WILL be getting a new ATC sealed box to install before the weekend.

i also dieelectictric'ed all the headlight bucket connections and tightened the ignition swith female connectors(to prevent that problem)

Thank you ALL!!!!

Webs

Comment

If you have an Ohm meter you can trace the start circuit from the solinoid back. We just had a bike with a bad connection in the start switch...had to take it apart and clean the oxide off the contacts. Could be anything from the switch, to a connector, to the solinoid, to the starter. If you hear the solinoid click when you hit the button, your good on the switch end, and it's either the solinoid or the starter. If not, the other way around.
                      You need a Haynes manual with an electrical print!!
                      P.S. You have to disconnect the solinoid from the start button or your meter will read a short across the solinoid coil. There should be a connector next to the solinoid and another under the tank.
                      Last edited by dragxs11; 09-24-2009, 09:32 AM. Reason: add info
                      1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                      1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                      1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                      2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                      2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Working...
                      X