Removing and Cleaning Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing and Cleaning Clutch

Thanks TopCat and everyone for the tech tips on this. Here is how we kept the oil from running out. The process went very smoothly and took the slip out of the clutch! Everything was still within spec (Mobil1 Oil was the culprit). Last pic is after a job well done and ready to roll!

You can click the numbers to view the images. Sorry!

Last edited by Ehdrian; 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM. Reason: Too lazy to fix the images!
    Stock XS1100LH 1981 Midnight Special

so how did you clean off the friction plates and steels? Chemical sprays?

Were the friction plates glazed?

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
      so how did you clean off the friction plates and steels? Chemical sprays?

Were the friction plates glazed?
      Well. I'm not a mechanic but... I used break cleaner on each steel and friction plate in a basin. The cleaner pooled somewhat in the bottom and I gave each one and extra swish in the cleaner. Then I dried each one with a towel and and let sit for about 10mins to dry out. After that I smeared a light coating of yamaha cycle oil on each part and replaced them.

Now I'll be honest, I had to look up 'glazed' on google. I don't think they were. The steel was not blue either....

Comment

Cool! I guess the whole reason for the R&R of the clutch was cause it was "contaminated" with the extra slippery Mobil 1 oil.

Now that I think about it, the Mobil 1 wouldn't let the clutch get hot enough to burn the steels and Heat up the friction plates to the point where they would "glaze". (Unless one just kept running the bike forever with the clutch slipping.)

THX!

Comment

On the 79, I pulled the clutch, and hit the steels with a palm sander and some 600 grit sandpaper.

I have noticed that using some Lucas oil snot helps with clutch slippage as well. I have no idea why, maybe because it is sticky.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Just a friendly note. You had a very intricate rig to hold the bike over, unless you over filled the oil, it was not necessary. Placing the bike on the side stand, none will spill out. Or perhaps your missing the side stand??

BTW, had you already replaced the oil? Otherwise you were going to drain it anyway.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Ya Had replaced the oil already, and didn't trust the side stand when it came time to removing the main nut (even with the rear wheel locked). Plus it made it easier to work on while sitting on a stool.

I have noticed that using some Lucas oil snot helps with clutch slippage as well.
              I'm gonna try that
              Last edited by Ehdrian; 09-23-2009, 06:54 PM. Reason: Added a reply

Comment

Snotty Demonstration

Ivan,

The auto parts store has an interactive display set up for that "Lucas" stuff. Basically it's a bunch of plastic gears that you hand crank while the lucas stuff get's drawn upwards to the top gear. I can't resist giving it a twist or two every time I come in for parts.

But I thought that the Lucas stuff was like the "STP" of yester-year. You know, that it was more "slippery" and all that. I would think that if it were slippery-er than motor oil then that would rule out adding it to the bike where the wet clutch is used.

If you say it worked for you then great! I'm still gonna bring my reading glasses with me next time and take a peek at the list-o-ingredients. (Like I would even understand or be able to pronounce what's inside ....)

Comment

Working...
                X