Tire Size for Tubeless Rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size for Tubeless Rim

You guys have been a great help with my blown tire calamity. And as always a small problem is turning into a bigger project. I'm now also replacing brakes and rotors and might as well do the front wheel, tire, brakes as well. Anyway, I have a 78 Standard with a 17 inch tube type rim on the back. While rummaging through the storage shed I found a tubeless front rim with a good Metzeler Marathon tire on it that I bought from XSChop last year. Further digging and I found a really clean tubeless 17 inch rear rim.

Now, I am about to call the tire shop to see if they have a Metzeler Marathon Rear Tire. 2 questions? 1) The tube type tire I am replacing is a 130/90V/17. Will the tubeless rim require the same size(sounds like a dumb question as I write it, but I'll ask anyway). 2)How do I know how old the new tire I am buying is?

You guys have convinced me that old tires are no good, So now I'm concerned how long they have been sitting in somebody's stockroom, hence the question. Thanks again for all the help. I can't believe how great a resource this site is. Tom
    Tom

The 130/90V 17 IS the correct tire size. I do NOT remember the exact date code, but I think it's in the form of year and week. code should look like 1607, IIRC. I may have it backwards, so it may look like 0716. The 07 would be 2007, the 16 would be the 16th week of the year. HTH
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
    X