Pod air filters and stock look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod air filters and stock look?

I see some carb tuning in my not-too-distant future for my 79 XS11 Special. I understand that my life will be much easier getting the carbs off if I replace the stock airbox with pod filters.

I see a couple of options:

https://www.partsnmoreonline.com/PNM...b%20parts.html

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/pod_filters.htm

Any problems with either of these? Is one preferred (the PartsNMore are oval and a buck cheaper apiece)?

The other thing is, I've heard someone mention using the pod filters, but putting the stock airbox back on top of them. Is this easy to do? Will this allow me to retain the cool chrome on the sides of the airboxes?

I need a new air filter, so rather than spend money on one, I figured I'd just go the pod filter route...
    79 XS1100SF

Carbs come off fast and easy, there is a trick. (going from memory here) There are three screws holding the box on the bike, one on top and one on each side, take these bolts out and pull the box back an inch, this diengages the intake boots from the carbs. Now take 3 screwdrivers and stick them through the bolt holes so the box stays where it is and does not come forward. Now you have space to pull the carbs.

See easy!
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Cool... this is with the stock airbox, right? I'll give that a try when it comes time.
      79 XS1100SF

Comment

This is just my personal opinion John, but I happen to think that the pod filters make the whole engine look smaller. Something about having that empty space just seems wrong to me. I opted to use a K&N stock replacement and for a little less restriction, I drilled holes on the bottom of the box; inside the filter. Besides the empty space, you'd better not hose the bike off without covering pod filters!
        As far as carb removal, he's right. It takes a little wiggling, but it's not hard. The carbs come out before the airbox anyway. Hope this helps you decide what to do.
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Originally posted by johnstewart
          Cool... this is with the stock airbox, right? I'll give that a try when it comes time.
          With stock air box. It is in Rick and Smitty's off site carb page if I remember right. Wish I thought of it though.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

If you're going the pod route. Get the oval filters, they have more survace area for better breathing.

They're both listed as $8 each but after you click on add to cart, the oval ones are $10 each. It may not make a differance but I think the extra surface area is worth the $8 more for the set.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey there John,

I remember reading a thread about some trouble a guy had with some pod filters(Cone shaped), causing air restriction and not allowing the bike to run to redline 'cause it couldn't breath, the rubber mount had this angled lip that partially obstructed the different inlets on the carb throat. I experienced this same thing recently when working on a fellow XSer's XJ, took it for a test drive with the filters on, and it acted like it was starving for fuel at 7 k rpm, in several gears. Then took the filters off, and it revved with no problem to 8.5k. I can't remember whether it was due to a design difference between different filters, ie. EMGO, vs. K&N, etc.!? I bought a cheap set of Uni cylinder shaped and have had no problems with breathing/intake ablity!! HTH.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It does take a little wiggling to get the carbs out with the stock air box, but its not to hard.. had mine out in 5 min, which included taking the tank off and undiung the air box... always take the filter out before you try to remove the carbs
                I run a K&N filter inside my stock air box and it seems to do pretty well (2 foot wheel stand in the driveway about 30 min ago)
                also... when you undo the ring clamps, slide them back away from the edge by the carbs.. this lets the rubber give more.
                Shawn
                78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                78 XS1100E Parts
                www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
                X