xs11 in 3d cad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs11 in 3d cad

I am in the process of collecting data in order to draw a 3d cad model of the XS11. If anyone has drawn any parts already please pass them along..
    The model will start out with the basic shapes and get more and more detailed as i go along. this may take several months because of my schedule etc.

The ONLY reason im doing it is because i cannot find a solid model . I know several people had drawn it but cannot reach them in order to get the model from them. I will be using solidworks 2009 to draw the model complete

If you want the model after im done keep my email..

tarmacsports@hotmail.com
    I will be posting the model on my photobucket as pictures..

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...rts/?start=all
    1978 E XS1100 purchased for =$600.00
    crap load of time spent modifying it = Priceless
    My bike has the XS motor but can't really call it XS11
    (or at least it still looks like the XS motor)
    it has about 50% of the frame left from the XS bike

Ummm... why would you need the model?
    Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
    '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
    '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
    '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
    New steering head races and bearings
    '78/'79 standard wire harness
    Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
    T.C.'s fuse block
    PNM Coils
    7mm Dyna Wires
    NGK Resistor Caps
    Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

It would be nice to have a modeled and dimensioned .DWG file for those parts that we can no longer get.

How long have you been drawing? Looks like you are in a substantial shop.

Nice looking work.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Q. Ummm... why would you need the model?
        A1. It would be nice to have a modeled and dimensioned .DWG file for those parts that we can no longer get.

A2. In my case i want to start with the basics and modify the model to plan out my "cafe bike" mods.
        I have a lot of aluminum and molded parts i need to add to the bike its much easier for me to draw them in a solid model and make mods before i need to make the parts, i do this for a living so its just the way i design new products.

Q2. How long have you been drawing? Looks like you are in a substantial shop.

A1. I have been solid modeling since about 1996 but i have been drafting both manual drafting and CAD since 1988.
        A2. Yes i have 5 CNC machines both lathe with live tooling 4 and 5 axis work and 4 axis mills. I do both proto type work for all kinds of venues and i have my own line of after market parts that i do for all kinds of things from ducati bikes to porsche's.

Nice looking work. .. Thank you. i try to make Good quality design and products. anything less is not worth my time. If you want crap there is plenty of stuff out there. Things i make or design do cost more but in the end i have a happy customer and that's what is important.

Comment

Hey roccet I have a bike you can measure take pictures etc... and I'm only minutes away,and if I may be so bold I think it's a very good example of what an xs11 should look likePM me and I'll help you any way I can.

Terry

PS I can't wait to have a model on my desk
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
            PS I can't wait to have a model on my desk
            Eh, don't know if you understand or not, but a solid model in this context is a computer generated image from a CAD program, as opposed to a "wire frame" model. It isn't a miniature.

Sorry if you already knew this, not trying to insult anyone's intelligence.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It's a whole lot easier to build it on the computer and find the interferences than build it and HOPE it fits.

Never used solid works. Auto Cad and just barely got started with Pro E. Training got canceled. That story is best told over a few beers.

There are machines out there that can "create" or "print", for those who don't know it, a solid, scale model of a computer generated 3-D drawing

Good luck.
              Last edited by latexeses; 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM.
              RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

were not talking about a model like ones from a toy store you put together although, thats one thing that i do is put "models " like for HP or intel or nike.
                Those are actual full size models of an end product made usually of foam , plastic and some aluminum. A Solid model or 3d CAD model is just that .. a render in 3d of all the components . Im sorry if i was not clear.

After the solid model is complete it can be scaled down , modified etc. and even printed out on a 3d printer to small scale or exactly to scale piece by piece . I can even take the solid model and machine it out of aluminum in a solid chunk. but the entire point of a solid 3d cad model is that i can make all kinds of modifications before i spend all the time and money and then change my mind. time on the milling machine is expensive. 75-150 bucks an hour depending on the complexity. I have to wisely make my design changes early on.

and thanks for the offer but i do have an XS11 only problem for me is correctly getting dimensions when the bike is all together.. hard to reach places etc. i wish i had measured the motor before putting it back together.
                that would have really helped.

Comment

Oh wow!

A cad model would be awesome to have! Please count me in if this ever gets done. I would love a copy. I was going to do this in my spare time, but it just got a bit too complicated and I just gave up. I should have kept on it.

BTW, Nice work!
                  -Rick
                  1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

I'm sorry, i can't help you with the model thing..(i just don't have the body for it)

KIDDING...

i get it. i still won't be much help...

but i do have an idea for a part... or rather i have seen an idea...

Hydrolic clutch mounting setup..

the CNC made front fork brace is done by Tkat.. so we won't step on his toes there.

how about adjustable foot pegs, like what's on my 1982 XJ750 maxim MNS.

top plate for the triple clamp that allows for a better style of handlebar mounting (bolt risers directly on the top plate) like my S1.

anything you can do about side covers????
                    I got no idea...
                    that may be more of a sheet metal type fab job.

i'll think of more items....
                    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by roccet View Post
                      were not talking about a model like ones from a toy store you put together although, thats one thing that i do is put "models " like for HP or intel or nike.
                      Those are actual full size models of an end product made usually of foam , plastic and some aluminum. A Solid model or 3d CAD model is just that .. a render in 3d of all the components . Im sorry if i was not clear.

After the solid model is complete it can be scaled down , modified etc. and even printed out on a 3d printer to small scale or exactly to scale piece by piece . I can even take the solid model and machine it out of aluminum in a solid chunk. but the entire point of a solid 3d cad model is that i can make all kinds of modifications before i spend all the time and money and then change my mind. time on the milling machine is expensive. 75-150 bucks an hour depending on the complexity. I have to wisely make my design changes early on.

and thanks for the offer but i do have an XS11 only problem for me is correctly getting dimensions when the bike is all together.. hard to reach places etc. i wish i had measured the motor before putting it back together.
                      that would have really helped.
                      Yes I know what a CAD is.I'll take that as a no thanks.Good luck on your project.

Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)
                      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Terry,
                        I had the pleasure of seeing your bike in person and yes it is a very fine example of a xs1100.Wish mine had the detail.
                        BTW thank you for the ss brake line and it was nice to meet you and your better half( .
                        If you need a model on your desk, I could stand on it for you
                        karin said to say hi to your wife.
                        1980 midnight xs1100 Rebilt cosmetically
                        1980 midnight xs850 bagger
                        1980 Special xs1100 (all apart)
                        1979 special Special runner
                        2011 street glide

Comment

I made AutoCAD rel 12 drawings of the swingarm - for my fabricator to add a brace - i will dig them out and forward them to you -
                          bit of a job in front of you there
                          Bryan
                          Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
                          "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

Originally posted by radical123 View Post
                            Terry,
                            I had the pleasure of seeing your bike in person and yes it is a very fine example of a xs1100.Wish mine had the detail.
                            BTW thank you for the ss brake line and it was nice to meet you and your better half( .
                            If you need a model on your desk, I could stand on it for you
                            karin said to say hi to your wife.
                            Sorry Ron you're not my kind of model. Tell Karin Yvette say's hi.I think there were a lot of nice bikes there.Some really nice midnights.

Hey roccet I just remembered I think Yaman is a draftsman.He might have some of the drawings you're looking for.

Terry
                            1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

I'm working on a couple of small parts for possible future production, but they are not the same in appearance as the OEM parts.

Terry, I think your bike is a fine example of an XS1100 also, nice attention to detail.

Larry
                              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                              82 XJ1100
                              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                              64 Yamaha YA-6
                              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Working...
                              X