Couple of modification questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of modification questions

Spent an hour looking through the search results for the questions I have.

I'm doing a mild resto-mod on the bike, I grew up looking at Accel yellow coils and plug wires on 70s and 80s bikes, and since part of the work I am going to do on the bike is coils and wires, can someone point out which set I need?

I'm thinking the xj1100 is a cdi ignition after what I've been able to find right?

So the coils I need are the three ohm ones?

And, I need to replace the clutch and springs. Is there one set that is better than the others? Vesra or Barnett?

This site is a wealth of knowledge, thanks for you help

james
    1982 XJ1100 Stocker with a Kerker header.

3 ohm coils are what you need, but it is a TCI type ignition. I'm running the Accel 3 ohms on my SF, and I run the XJ coils on my F, and I must say the Accels are way hotter than the stockers. The correct P/N for the 3 ohm coils is 140403.

Any heavy duty clutch springs should be fine, JMHO.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 09-20-2009, 10:28 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

And, I need to replace the clutch and springs. Is there one set that is better than the others? Vesra or Barnett?
      The discs hardly ever NEED to be changed. You can put the bike on the sidestand and open your clutch cover without the need to even drain your oil. If you have access to air, a 27mm socket with an impact for removal/installation is easiest, but not a necessity.

Normally, just replacing the springs will fix you up, but you can always just MIC the friction discs to see if they are in spec, install the new springs and see if that fixed it. If not, it's pretty easy to get in and out of there, so if that doesn't help, THEN spring for the cash of new discs.

Just my opinion..

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks for the replies, was scratching my head over the coil numbers.

The clutch pack steels are warped, so they're going to need to be replaced I think. They're in spec for thickness, but it's only a matter of time, so as long as I have it apart, might as well do it once and know it's right.
        1982 XJ1100 Stocker with a Kerker header.

Comment

Working...
        X