No announcement yet.

This is a weird one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug, what is interesting is I went to CMSNL.com and looked at that fiche. Then clicked on the plug and in the parts list and it came up as 33 on the earlier model carbs. I know for a fact that my 81 does nto have those plugs, here is a pic of mine before I took anything out.

I do not have nay pics that would clearly show that corssover, but I know it is not there. Also, the 81 model years carbs were the only ones with the side screw for the drain in the bowl so you could hook a tube to the drain. All prior just have a drain bolt/plug that I have seen. With my bike being as stock and from what I can tell no changed parts, I tend to believe it is all bone stock. Varnae stated those are pieced together carbs, so ti would not shock me if he has the 81 bowls on 80 carbs. The 80's carb list shows the same piece.

As to the float and mains, I am just thinking that the reason for the change in jets was due to feeding the pilot from the mains. The way it stumbles at low RPM makes me think it is starving. And if the main is to small to feed the pilot it would. But when you get to where the needle is rising and the main is kicking in, then it would take off as the main is big enough to handle that load with the needle up. Just my .005 cent worth.

Ohh...and the way my bike ran with that TCI in it, I do not think it changed the timing at all. I noticed absolutely no difference in the performance of the bike. And I have to believe if it threw the timing that far off, I would have noticed it in performance.
    Last edited by DGXSER; 10-04-2009, 08:22 AM.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Randy - I guess I'll leave the charging stuff alone. The battery showed 12v when it wasn't running. It's a relatively new battery, but it isn't the right size for an XS - it's considerably smaller. Readings at the TCI were only showing 11 to 11.5 volts. We cleaned a bunch of connectors, but he still has the handlebar kill switch to attend to. Judging by the erratic operation of the turn signals (sometimes they work, sometimes they don't), I'm guessing the handlebar controls are pretty crudded up.

Don - They might be off an '80 - you know how parts can move around in 30 years. The other thing to keep in mind with Carl's is that we really didn't do anything with the mixture settings. I set them all to 2 turns out the last time he was over, so maybe a colortune/adjustment will help the low end stumble. One way to find out.
      Last edited by dbeardslee; 10-04-2009, 08:43 AM.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
        Doug,

FWIW...
        Cody & I just made a discovery on mine yesterday concerning vacuum...

Where we had the pilot screws set... (we thought we had a good tune), according to the synch guages, we showed around 200 mm of vac.
        But we were having all kinds of idle issues...

After tuning more critically, we watched the vac readings climb to 300mm!
        Re-synched... major difference!

Low vac readings can be caused by where the pilot screws are set, it seems.

Thought it might be a reason why your vac readings are lower on this particular bike... we couldn't believe the difference. JAT
        Good luck,
        Bob
        ........important information; good post........Question: were you going richer or leaner (out or in) on the pilot screw adjusting, to get it to raise from 200mm, upward to the 300mm?
        JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
        7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
        X