So I went for a ride awhile ago.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I went for a ride awhile ago.....

....and I'm just now finding my way back to the board.

Been a loooong time guys, I hope you all are well. I'm great, moved from Sacramento down to Los Angeles, and the Maroon Baboon has been hangin' in there strong - had a couple problems, but nothing needing a post. I love ridin' along PCH, especially up by Oxnard where it's straight, flat, and deserted. Last time I was there I cruised at 120 for a solid 10 minutes before I started runnin' outta road!

So I'm posting for a number of reasons. After last winter, I did a half-assed job of cleaning my carbs. (I know, I know, bad idea. I became a Dad and didn't get to ride for so long I was just ITCHING it get out there) She ran, but not great, especially at idle. Above 3500, she screamed as usual, so I didn't worry too much about it.

Now, sadly, the time has come to move yet again, and this time we're headed to DC, and I can't bring the bike - we just really have to downsize our things, and I need to get rid of her, so I figured I'd finally go through the carbs well and get it running right. After a second cleaning, this time much more thorough (I replaced the sticky float needle I suspected of causing my problems), I got it all back together and back on the bike with the centerstand down, and gas came POURING through the pod filters!!!

I tried the 'ol "tap on the sides" thing to unstick them, but NO DICE. just gas, gas, and more gas. Now I've pulled them again and am staring at them, scratching my head. The float height is not off enough to cause this problem, and I just now checked them for cracks or leaks - NONE.

Any ideas? (and also, this bike'll be in the "for sale" section pretty soon, hopefully AFTER this problem is solved)

TIA as always guys.

-Kris
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

If you don't have gas in the floats, it must be a bad needle/seat combo or the needle is able to drop too low, and it sticks in the open position. IF you read the book, there is an upper and LOWER limit that needs to be set.
    Sorry to hear you can't keep the bike! maybe you can try to sell it to some you know who WILL keep it running well for you, so you can get it back later. You KNOW you will want it back!!!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

For the life of me, I can't seem to find my Clymer's manual! If you tell me what the max height is, I'll check and set it, hopefully that'll solve the issue.

If there was someone I knew who COULD and WOULD keep the bike in nice shape and runnin', I'd hand it over in a minute. Sadly, in my group of friends, I'm about the only one whose wife allows anywhere NEAR a bike.

So at this point, I'd just be happy to see it go to a good home.
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

update

ok, so I set the float levels to 25mm, and the max float height to 35mm (a guess since I couldn't find my manual).

Put it all back together and it started leaking gas again, so I rapped on the guilty carb with a screwdriver and it fixed it this time, yay! I can tell since it's cleaner in there now that it'd run like a bat outta hell too...

........except it's only firing on 3 cylinders.

Time to say screw it, I just don't have time to wrench on this thing any more to make it worth the extra $$$ I'd get from selling it. Oh well, someone'll get a good bike for reaaaaal cheap.
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

If you can't find your paper manual, you can get a digital version from the link in my signature. Sorry you can't hang onto your bike. I hope you're able to find it a good home...
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Kris,
            Give it one more try with the manual from CatatonicBug. I would also replace the spark plugs, as the fouled plug probably will no longer fire, and it MAY keep the "good" plug on that coil from firing properly. This SHOULD solve most of your problems so you can try and get a good price for the bike. Just try to sell it to someone who will care for it! It WILL make you sleep easier at night!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks guys, fairly certain now it's a coil, unless it's a badly fouled plug causing both cylinders to misfire as previously stated.

Sold the bike already, same day as posting it on craigslist! Guy seemed to know his stuff and really liked the bike. If you all hear from Lee in Covina, be good to him.

Take care all, I'm sure I'll be back some day. :P
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Lee called me last night....

let me know he nursed it home, and spent a couple hours wrenching on it on Sunday... found the problem - coils are fine carbs are fine, the wires are bad.

I think the exact words he used were "The evilest bike I ever rode. Effing awesome." He was just calling to say thanks. For a second I kicked myself for not spending the extra hour on it to find and fix that problem, knowing I could've gotten FAR more for the bike, but the sheer joy in his voice made me forget all about it. I told him to pay the Karma forward.

Thought you guys might appreciate that update.

TTFN
                Kristoffer
                "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Working...
                X