Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat about to get recovered...Need visual Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat about to get recovered...Need visual Help!

I have a wierd seat theat came with my bike which is going to get recovered this week. It is hard to describe and I will try and post a pic of it, but the best way I can describe it is a saddle king queen. It has a very abrupt climb to the queen, but the driver's part is very very low, and wide, almost like a saddle. Now the guy said he could reshape the foam for me, because I don't really like the look of the abrupt climb, but I am really torn to what extant I should do it and shape it.
    I really love the low profile seats (which may not be possible on a 79 seat pan). But on the flip side, when a girl is riding with me its nice when she can put her chin on my shoulder because she is sitting higher. Yet also if the seat was more level, it would be much more comfortable on longer rides to move around.

So i am asking that if you like or love your seat and have good pictures showing it, could you post them. Especially if you have deviated from stock and it looks good. ALso if you have any tips or input it would be appreciated. I am also thinking of drag bars....I like a cafe, bobber style without the hacking...haha. I am a little nervous about this!

Thanks.
    1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Check out the members photo albums at the top of the page. Might be able to get an idea by looking at some of those seats.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have a king/queen seat on my bike and I'm not sure I am going to like it too much. When I had the Virago I liked moving around to get the wrinkles out of the butt when riding. This seat sort of kills that though. Also has me setting a bit close to the foot controls. Guess that's why it has the hiway pegs!
      I am thinking of having a seat built or getting hold of one a bit more stock. Would let me have the dualie for Deb when she rides and the seat to my liking when I head out.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Step up and sit down

The seat I have on my special does have that additional step up for the passenger.

It may look funny but the riders tell me that it's way better than sitting on a flat seat and trying to hold on to the driver. They lean back and pull themselves down with the grab bar. The added elevation of the passenger raises the center of gravity of the bike but as long as they stay centered I'm OK with it.

I've gotta get a photo of a passenger on the seat......

Comment

That looks a lot like Special Eds seat. It's a "factory" replacement for the stock seat. You can probably have him cut the foam back a little so you have a little more "slide" room. You CANNOT take the seat flat, as the seat pan for the specials are not that flat. You would probably like about two more inches, if the person can do that for you. Even one inch makes a LOT of difference. My seat used to be a double bucket, and I had the front moved back about 1.5". It made a WORLD of difference on the longer rides!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Cowl??

Ok i think the plan is to move the queen part back and inch or two, make the slope not as steep, and also take about an inch off the height of the queen. My only quick question is, it wouldn't be possible to buy a cowl rear cowl thing and put it on would it? Do you need an entirely new seat pan for that? I saw a 79 or two with it and I like it.
            1979 XS1100SF (4-1 Kerker, XS Pods, 145 mains, 45 pilots, drag bars, blacked out)

Comment

You're asking to do exactly what I've recently done. I have a '79 Special with a seat pan from an '80 Special that has a '78 cowl grafted to it. If you follow th elink in my sig, there's lots of pics and what-not.

Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
              '07 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
              X