Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 different jettings/2 different bikes...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 different jettings/2 different bikes...?

It seems like a majority either has the stock airbox with a stock exhaust, or pods with a 4/1. I'm getting ready to order jets now.

What size pilots and mains for each bike:

79SF, 4/1 w/airbox?

79SF, 4/2 open header, no baffle, w/turnouts w/pods?
    Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
    '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
    '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
    '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
    New steering head races and bearings
    '78/'79 standard wire harness
    Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
    T.C.'s fuse block
    PNM Coils
    7mm Dyna Wires
    NGK Resistor Caps
    Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

XS11.com Forums > Maintenance > Carburetors
    Carburetor Facts - Models and Jetting

Maybe this will tell you what you're looking for...
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
      Carburetor Facts - Models and Jetting
      I don't see it??? It just shows stock jettings
      T.C.'s fuse block
      PNM Coils
      7mm Dyna Wires
      NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

My bad....
        I see now what you're asking...
        what jets for mods, in other words?

Smarter carb gurus than I here... but sometimes you have to go trial and error. Each engine's different, and altitude, all that can effect it.

I know you can buy jets a lot cheaper individually, but... I will say this...

I had a few minor carb issues, and after 2 of my friends going w/ a Dynojet kit and seeing big improvements in both rideability and MPG's I decided to go that way on my XJ this weekend.

Kit comes set up for 2 different apps.. Stage 1 stock or Stage 3 modified.

You would need to go Stage 3, sounds like. Good kit, but pricey.
        Unless you find a deal somewhere... mine was $138
        But, both buddies were getting low 30's before, now low 40's... that's a mod that not only pays for itself in time, but extends the riding pleasure!
        Hoping I see the same results... mine got 32 @ best. Time will tell if it was a good or bad financial investment...
        Only took a couple of hours to install...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

hmmm...
          enlighten me. I'm doing nothing right now but blowing $$$ on parts right now anyway. Bikebandit, partsnmore, and mikesxs have all recieved small lumps of cash from me tonight. Where can I find out more about this dynojet kit? $138 doesn't sound bad and seems like it'll pay for itself. I've heard of the dial-a-jet kit. Is it anything like that?
          T.C.'s fuse block
          PNM Coils
          7mm Dyna Wires
          NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

Call some local MC shops you might get lucky. I found one for $80.00.

You can find them on ebay also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-83...Q5fAccessories

Good luck,
            Ozz
            Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
            Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
            Pod Filters
            DynoJet Kit
            T.C.'s Fuse Block
            Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
            Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
            V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

The dynojet is pretty interesting and I might go for it someday, probably sooner than later at that, but ordering jets now...

From what I've read in the past 10 minutes... 147.5 mains and stock pilots will work ok on my bobber with the pods and 4/2. Does this sound correct? ...and... an... extra... turn on the air mixture screw???

Then I'm thinking stock mains and jets will work ok with the 4/1 w/airbox but I'm gonna try reading some more...
              T.C.'s fuse block
              PNM Coils
              7mm Dyna Wires
              NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

Originally posted by xs11bobber View Post
                I'm thinking stock mains and jets will work ok with the 4/1 w/airbox
                You should have no problem that way, I ran mine set up like that for years. In the hunt for more power, I went to 45 pilots and 142.5 mains (78-79 type carbs).
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Bobber,

Did you see this jetting mods "GUIDE" in the MODS forum??

But as was stated, you may have to try a variety close to the guide sizes to find the right size!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Bobber,
                    With the 4/1 + airbox, I'd use 145 mains, and turn the idle mixture screws out as needed( see the tech tip,( http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13124 ). For the bike with the open system, I'd go with the 147.5 mains, and 45 pilot jets. My choice for jets is mikesxs.com. They fit, they are cheap, and he ships quickly. He sells most jets in pairs, because they are for the "650", but just order two of each. I do NOT remember the exact pilots you need, but I think they are the "early" type. I know the mains are the "big head" early type.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by xs11bobber View Post
                      hmmm...
                      enlighten me. I'm doing nothing right now but blowing $$$ on parts right now anyway. Bikebandit, partsnmore, and mikesxs have all recieved small lumps of cash from me tonight. Where can I find out more about this dynojet kit? $138 doesn't sound bad and seems like it'll pay for itself. I've heard of the dial-a-jet kit. Is it anything like that?
                      Josh,
                      I checked 3 bike shops around the Tulsa area, including a tip I got about a local bike salvage... (they could order one.) Then, called the local Yamaha dealer in Stillwater where my friend lives that helped me install it.
                      Surprisingly, they were all the same price, regardless. They all could have ordered it for me, so it's widely available.

(Not sure about "Dial-a-jet"...)

I remember a few days ago when Ozz posted that he scored one for $80 !
                      (That was a great price... mine ended up being $125 + tax.)

Took 3 days for the order to come in... no hassels.

Very easy to install, comes w/ good directions & everything you need to do the job. Even if you have only been around these carbs for a short time, if you can read & follow directions, you can do it...piece of cake.

It was easier to install the kit than it was to pull / reinstall the carbs w/ my stock airbox and adjust everything back out and recheck the synch, (which isn't that tough!)

You just have to be careful with the little "c" clips... but the guys at Dynojet are thoughtful enough to include new extras for us guys w/ "large hands"...(ahem...) DAMHIK

The new needles that come w/ the kit are longer, and tapered differently... and I believe therein is the hidden recipe that makes the kit a winner.
                      For all the washers many here have tried to add to "drop the needles a bit",
                      the multitude of times of pulling and reinstalling the carbs, trial & error... these folks seem to have done their homework.

I've only been able to put about 20 miles on her since Sat... (Rain)
                      but I could tell an immediate increase in torque across the whole rpm band! Pulls like a screamin' banshee now! ( I thought it pulled pretty good before, but- WOW!)

My plugs showed I was lean before, and it was popping @ idle and on decel. This fattens up the jets, changes the needle taper & length, which changes everything. I hear when you're too lean in some areas & too fat in others due to worn jets / needle jets... that's where the fuel economy goes... even though this kit increases jet size a lot, it gets it right somehow, which improves economy... pretty wild, but makes sense if you really think about it.
                      The jets wear from the needle sliding in/out, which messes w/ the mixture.

80's mag ads I've seen that listed stats on the 11's claimed low 40's when they were new, and there are several guys who say they get that or better on here. But not sure what all they may have done for their's to get that mileage.

I personally witnessed my buddies' bikes improve by riding with them before & after. They both gained 10 mpg. One was a Special, the other a Standard. So now, we'll see about the XJ. Mine's best was 32.

XJ's have the smallest of all the jet sizes anyway... but this is way better than just swapping to bigger jets... thanks to the different needles!
                      If nothing else, it eliminated the popping in the exhaust, and sure pulls harder.

Still dealing w/ some idle return speed issues... (may be a seperate problem, since it was doing the same before the kit...) but so far, I can tell a big difference. If my fuel mileage also improves, it'll be most XSive!

Now... my salespitch for Dynojet is over...
                      And no...this was not a paid promotional ad by a famous actor...

I plan to post mileage results later on when I have the facts... acquired the "fun" way!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Wow. Thanks for all that great information guys. In all my searches I didn't find anything like that... maybe twas the operator. The "jetting recommendations' forum figures me at needing 150's for my bobber. 147.5's should get me started I figure. You sold me on the dynojet thing xjoktoplay, lol. You need to work on your Billy Mayes a bit though. I ordered the 147.5s last night along with the rest of my $250 order ...oops. I might take another visit today and just order the 145s and 150s as I already have a new set of 142.5s... (like safe auto) Justin Case
                        T.C.'s fuse block
                        PNM Coils
                        7mm Dyna Wires
                        NGK Resistor Caps