Question for the pros.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the pros.

Once I got the new float bowl on (thanks again Ray) she started up minus the number two carb. I figured that was due to not plugging up the carb boot on that carb since I took off the octy. So I plugged it and started it again and it ran worse. Long story short I took a few of the spark plugs off and they were dark which according to other posts means it's running rich.
    When rebuilding the carbs I also set the float levels according to the manual.
    I also have air pods and not the orginal air box.
    In reading other posts on here there are two thoughts, one is to change the clip on the needle jet to run a little leaner and the other is to readjust the levels on the floats (would that be raising or lowering them when the carbs are upside down). I did put the octy back on thinking that was the problem, it can come back off very quickly.
    Any thoughts?
    Rich

Rich, IF all 4 are running rich, I would start with the float level. I have noticed that my bike runs well with the floats set very "lean" compared to the book. The "new" fuel that we can buy now is NOT the same as when the books and testing was done! My '79 is at 1" on all floats. This is well BELOW the limit the book states, but it works VERY well.
    DO NOT adjust the needles. There are VERY FEW cases that the needle adjustment is the proper cure. The bike has to be running close and correct BEFORE the "final" tune. You will need to sync the carbs, and adjust the idle mixture screws to get the greatest amount of power out of the bike. Good luck with it, and post if you need more help.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I will reset it to 1 inch, One question I have is on the rebuild when I was replacing the needle jet on the number 4 carb I could never get to match the others. What I mean is that it looked like the needle was not hanging as low and has loose from the slide diaphram as the other three. Everything was put back together the same but it seemed different. Before the plugs fowled up this cylinder worked fine though.
      Thanks again all
      Rich

Comment

Rich,
        DO NOT SET TO 1 INCH!!! I was trying to help too late in the night! you need to set ALL THE FLOATS TO 1.20" If #4 needle is NOT the same as the other three, it may be a problem on down the line. the good news is you can pull the #4 cover and slide on the bike.
        Sorry for the miss-information. Trying to write a paper on Photovoltaics and helping whith mechanics just doesn't seem to go together......
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

At another crossroads.
          I reset the floats to 1.20" and then put in new plugs. She started right up and all four carbs ran. Rode it around the block, I could tell it was not yet where she should be. There was a little hesitation in her. When I got home I let her cool down and checked the plugs and they were carbon blasted. So I think it is still running to rich. I cleaned the plugs checked the gap and nothing. Could not get her to start. So back to square one.
          Rich

Comment

One more thought, while doing all this testing I never put back on the pod filters. I only went around the block once. Could having the filters off make it run rich?

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              Rich,
              DO NOT SET TO 1 INCH!!! I was trying to help too late in the night! you need to set ALL THE FLOATS TO 1.20" If #4 needle is NOT the same as the other three, it may be a problem on down the line. the good news is you can pull the #4 cover and slide on the bike.
              Sorry for the miss-information. Trying to write a paper on Photovoltaics and helping whith mechanics just doesn't seem to go together......
              A paper on Photovoltaics. Maybe you could solve the XS11 charging system issues for everyone here while your at it? a Photovoltaic battery would dispense with it... but then again, I want to keep my collector plates.
              Stock XS1100LH 1981 Midnight Special

Comment

Originally posted by prez342 View Post
                Could having the filters off make it run rich?
                No filters would make it run leaner.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Check your pilot jets and make sure they are the BS style. My bike ran rich for 2 years and with great advice on here I am now a l;ittle lean with the new pilots.

Comment

What is the BS style and where do I get them?

Comment

There are two styles of pilot jets that will fit our carbs. The VM and the BS (that I know of).

h VM style have eight total holes around the pilot jet, the BS have six holes. If you buy a carb kit form someone who does not knwo as much as you had hopd about the machine, they may provide the Vm style pilot jets which let more fuel through due to more holes.

Omly way to knwo what you have is to remove them, if you have the wrong style, Mikes XS among others sell the BS style.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Here we go again.
                        Had the wrong style of jets in there, had to change to the BS kind. Again the started right up however when trying to ride and giving gas she wanted to bog down. could this be her running to lean now? I set the floats to 1.2". When she started she went right up to 4500 rpm before I adjusted her. Turned all four adjusting screws out three 1/2 turns. I'm stumped.
                        Rich

Comment

Sync

Originally posted by prez342 View Post
                          Here we go again.
                          Had the wrong style of jets in there, had to change to the BS kind. Again the started right up however when trying to ride and giving gas she wanted to bog down. could this be her running to lean now? I set the floats to 1.2". When she started she went right up to 4500 rpm before I adjusted her. Turned all four adjusting screws out three 1/2 turns. I'm stumped.
                          Rich
                          Sounds like you need to re-sync the carbs.
                          78 XS1100E Standard
                          Coca Cola Red
                          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Did you check the plugs after the "bog down" run? Too rich and too lean can give similar results. The plugs won't lie. If you can, run it in bog-down mode, hit the kill switch, and see if the plugs are loaded up with gas or dry and white. That will guide you through the rich/lean thing.
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                            X