No electrical power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No electrical power

Help- do not know what happened. Took the old XS out for a 50 mile spin and stopped for Gas. When tried to start it nothing, every thing dead. I saw the neutral light go on for a brief second and then everything went out. Checked it out at the station, battery was good and know blown fuses. Decided to get a ride home and get the trailer. For the fun of it I brought another good battery to put in a try it at the station. Put it in and it started up. Drove it home and shut it down. Going to start it again and the same thing. Nothing, all dead again. But did see that quick flash of the neutral light. Let it set for a day and still nothing. Dead as a door nail. Batteries are good as I put them in other bikes and they work fine. Do not have a clue where to even start. Hope someone can help as I need to ride my baby. You can email me direct KTC333@bak.rr.com. Any input would be appreciated. I do have the manual but it is know help.

I have the same problem.. rarely. I just whack my right sidecover... it works. Clean all conectors and switches. If you're still on original fusebox, replace it. Dont forget the two main fuses in the seperate box.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Your positive lead goes straight to a solinoid under the right side cover, and above the fusebox. Have you checked that? It shouldn't be to hard to nail down. Turn the ingition on and carefully wiggle and tap. See if you get any action in the vicinity of that + lead. Also check the ground. I strongly suspect a loose or corroded connection.
      1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
      1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
      1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
      2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
      2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Check the master fuse in the rubber thingy under the left (not a typo) side-cover (almost up under the seat). The rubber thingy often gets loose/burned or the glass fuse gets loose inside (blown and pulls apart but not quite).

Also had a wire come loose inside the ingition switch and had to take it a part and solder the wire back on.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Try the key??

From time to time mine does a similar thing and all I do is turn the key off and back on and then it's fine.
          Garry
          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Both my XSs have had this problem. The crimp connector on the main power terminal was corroded. Both bikes would die at random times with no power to anything. Every time I would return only to have them fire right up. Very frustrating!

The connection looked OK, but I could duplicate the condition by pulling and wiggling the wire.

This is the larger red (braded insulation) wire that connects to the solenoid along with the battery power wire. The wire exits the wire bundle just aft of the solenoid.

I cut the wire back until I acquired clean copper, spliced on (soldered) a 3” piece of heavy gauge wire, and soldered a new connector on the end.

Haven’t had any power problems since.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Have to thank everyone for the replies as they have been a great help. checked everything and still seemed fine with still no power. Then decided to try wacking the right cover trick. But I did remove it and started tapping all around the plate with the plastic end of the screw driver. BINGO the power came on. Hit it some more and it went off again and then came back on and now stays on. I got my new fuse box on order from JC Whitney and will be cleaning/redoing all those connectors. It must be one, but not sure which, so my as well do everything.

Again thanks to ya all.

Comment

Working...
              X