Replacement Kickstand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Kickstand?

Has anyone replaced the stock kickstand with one of the newer longer stands that you see on new bikes?

Would they make the parked bike more stable? Don't imagine it would change the look much.

We can get some pretty high spring winds (50-60mph gusts) on the hill at the college where I work.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

If you're parking in a high wind area, wouldn't putting it on the centerstand be safer?
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

Even the newer Yamahas use a very similar kickstand to what the XS has. I think what you're referring to is the Hardley version that has a really long foot on it. Unless it was a hurricane, I can't imagine any wind being stong enough to blow my bike over on the Side Stand. That sucker is HEAVY! The center stand would be more stable, since it would have 2 contact points. I don't have one of those though...
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

My bikes sit in 100km winds, all the time, never had one fall over due to wind.

A PO did weld a larger foot on the bottom of the SG side stand, so that it wouldn't sink into the pavement, or grass as quickly.

The problem with leaning these bikes over too far is that they are heavy! It makes them hard to get back up straight if the side stand leans over too far.

I switched bikes with a buddy who drives a 2008 Ultra Classic (800+lbs). We were on gravel so the stand had sunk in an inch or so, and he needed help getting my bike up straight.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
        X