turing signal drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turing signal drama

so i bought this 78 sx1100 as a project first bike. shes not the prettist girl at the dance but i like her. the trouble is the person who had this bike last did well .. a lot of things i dont understand. i have had a lot of time in auto mechanics so i come here with hope some one can help me.
    the last owner took off the windjammer and added after market rear signals he also applied two fog lights instead of buying the fill assembly for the front headlamp. so to day i bought the head lamp and front turning signals. i took out the splice for the jammer and began mapping every thing back together using the wiring diagram from the intact owners manual, i noticed that the diagram was maped with red ink that had gotten wet and ran. so i took a bit of time to re run all the cables wires and

Originally posted by gorgan8 View Post
    so i bought this 78 sx1100 ... i noticed that the diagram was maped with red ink that had gotten wet and ran. so i took a bit of time to re run all the cables wires and
    Hey, Gorgan, welcome to XS11! It looks like you got cut off in mid keystroke.

If you're looking for help with wiring your '78 here's a link to: Color wiring diagrams

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

The windjammer pig tail should have just pluged in to XSisting connectors.
      Stock, the E front turns used a blue wire for running lights, then dark green and chocolate for turns.

How bad did the PO hamberger the wiring?

Welcome to XS land
      I've never had an E, worked on em tho.

mro

Comment

Welcome to the forum! If you need a new wiring diagram, there is one printed in the back of the service manual, available as a free download from the link in my signature. As was mentioned, the connector for the fairing should have just been a pigtail that plugged into the original wires. No splicing required... Of course, PO's are infamous for messing that kind of thing up. Take your time with the wiring, as that can be a real cause for headaches later. Good luck, and enjoy the addiction!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by gorgan8 View Post
          so i bought this 78 sx1100 - - - the last owner - - - added after market rear signals - -
          Hi gorgan and welcome,
          your post quits in mid-sentence but if you were going to say your signals turn on but don't flash, here's why:-
          Aftermarket rear signals typically have 22Watt bulbs in them.
          The stock Yamaha flasher unit has to have a 54Watt load or it won't flash. Even if the front signals still have the proper 27Watt bulbs in them the 49Watt (27W = 22W) load ain't enough to work the flasher.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X