Carb cleaning issues :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb cleaning issues :(

I have an 82 XJ. Bought it a couple of weeks ago for something to tinker on. It had been sitting in a garage since around 2001, but the owner claimed he started it every so often and it always started. Sure enough when I went to look at it, it started right up, but really didn't want to idle unless the choke was partially on. I figured the carbs were in need of a good cleaning. Well, I finally got time to pull the carbs and started to taking them apart. I tried taking the drain plug out of the first bowl, but it was froze (corroded) in there pretty tight. I put some PB Blaster on it and try to free it every couple of days, but so far nothing. I moved on to the air mixture screws. Again the first one was frozen solid. After soaking it for couple of days it came free with a little working back and forth. The next two were free and came out just fine, but the forth one! After soaking, heating, soaking, heating...etc., it just won't budge. Now to make it even worse, who ever drilled out the plugs also drilled into the top of the air adjustment screws not leaving alot for a screw driver to bite onto. The end result is what little bit of screw heads that was there snapped off. I think I'm pretty much left with drilling the screw out and trying to find another one, unless someone out there has a different idea!?!

I'd say your correct. I will also say tread very carefully on using an extractor, I had a similar situation and the extractor broke off in the screw. I had to take it to a machine shop and have it milled out. Luckily the stuff in the threads did eventually come free for me.

Left handed drill bits have been successful. There are many places to buy a new mixture screw.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Welcome aboard! You've discovered a rather common problem with these old bikes. Those screws like to get stuck. If it were me, I'd use the easy-out, but I know some people have had problems with them. Just be careful you don't mess up the rest of the hole. Be sure to post some pictures ASAP! We like to see what we're talking about!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Well guys, I drilled a hole in the middle of it then used a dremel tool to kinda make the whole into a slot. Long and short of it is the screw is out after a couple of hours. I'm able to screw one of the other ones up and down in it, so I think I'm safe.

DGXSER: Do you know where I can buy new air mixture screw?

CatatonicBug: Thanks for your web site I was looking for the manuals for the XJ, you made that really easy!!!

Comment

I got mine from ebay seller Georgefix, they were part of a complete rebuild kit. I believe Mikes XS sells them as well.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Mike's XS lists several. I am not sure which ones you have but you can do a visual comparison. I wouldn't mention the fact that you are buying them for an XJ1100. He's had to deal with a bunch of people ordering the wrong parts and trying to return them.

I'm sure someone here has ordered the exact same thing and might chime in with a part number.

Nice job getting that screw out. Good luck.
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
            X