Tank and paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank and paint question

My tank was lined and then I took it to a friend to be painted. When he painted it, he apparently didn't tape off an opening or something because I've found blue flakes of paint floating in my gas lines and in parts of my carbs. I will be replacing the lines and cleaning the carbs. My question is, how can I get the paint out of the tank without removing the lining that was put in? Anyone have any ideas?
    If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Inline fuel filters would be my first thought. Cheap and they certainly won't hurt whatever is lining your tank.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I already tried that. The paint just flows down and then clogs up the fuel filters. Guess I'll just just have to buy a bunch of filters and change them every week or two until all this paint comes out.
      If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Did you try dumping the tank? Run the gas through a clean cotton T-shirt. At least you can run it through the lawn mower or something easier to clean the Yami carbs.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

flakes

i went to autozone a few weeks back. there i found a product called carb cleaner, also had the name the right stuff on the can in small print. this is powerful liquid, i would be scared to use it on any painted surface, rubber,vynyl, or plastic. i would tank your tank of an remove petcocks pour this stuff in it and shake it for awhile. it contains acetone and more blinding chemicals. i gaurntee it will take all paint that it contacts off or out of whatever, just dont let it get in eyes or on your hands and especialy on the outside of your tank unless you are going to repaint it... 3bucks a can.
          79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Originally posted by rowdyboy321 View Post
            i would tank your tank of an remove petcocks pour this stuff in it and shake it for awhile. it contains acetone
            DO NOT use anything like this in a tank with a coating inside. Acetone will dissolve the coating. I would flush it a few times with plain 'ol gas.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X