Speedometer face screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer face screws

One of the 2 screws on the face of my speedometer beneath the round glass has come loose and is floating around. I removed the speedometer and the 2 screws on the back, but am unable to figure out how to remove the speedometer from the housing or remove the glass on the front to gain access to put the little black screw back in. This is a 79 XS11 special.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The ONLY way to pull the glass is to CAREFULLY pry the metal band up around the glass. Go slow, and do a little at a time and it will come off. To put it back on, it's sort of the reverse. Put the parts back on, and pry the bottom of the metal band back on. I used a bottle opener to start this, and finished with a wood dowel.
    WELCOME to the board!! What town are you in??? I dive Fort Bragg three to five times a year!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Check here for how to dismantle the guage.

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...especials.html

The tech tip is for a Tacho but the procedure is the same.

Not that you'll need to to replace the screw but dont take the needle off if you dont have to. It's pre loaded against the spring. Theres another Tech Tip somewhere on the speedo showing how to mark the needle position before removal.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas

Glad to hear that someone was successful doing that so I know that's what I need to do. Think that I'll throw it back together real quick so I can take one more ride on her before sitting down with the bottle opener and screw driver to pry her open. I'll probably ride on into Lakeport and pick up a tube of locktite to use on those two screws so they don't vibrate out again since I'm planning on keeping her for the rest of my life. Thanks again for the advice and happy riding.
        Aloha from sunny Hopland, CA.

XS1100 SF
        74 FJ40
        03 Cummins Ram
        07 SRT8 Hemi Charger
        Last edited by chaz557; 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X