No announcement yet.

80 SG, what jets at altitude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally you don't need to seal them - the rubber seal usually works pretty good. You can tell if they're leaking by spraying some starter fluid around the boots where they mate to the engine (while it's running, and with a fire extinguisher handy). If the rpm's rise when you spray, they're leaking. If they are leaking, ford 2.3 L thermostat gaskets can be cut down to fit, or permatex ultra copper works well - just make sure you let it cure fully. There's actually a little convex arc to the flange on the motor, so if you see a little light when holding the boot's flange to a flat surface it's to be expected.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks much, I'll get it up and running soon!
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Hey Hbonser,

The screws on under the caps are NOT air screws, they are fuel/air mixture screws, CW is leaner, CCW is richer. There are very small washers and o-rings down on the ends of the screws. Their tips are not as sharply pointed as in the 78-79 series, and less likely to get stuck when you lightly seat them to count the # of turns out they are at.

The rubber on the intake boots ages with heat and time, and once you break the seal, you may even see some rubber come off with their removal. I would use some sealant when I put them back on, for insurance if nothing else.

ALso, if you headers are stock, they are double walled and so you would not see any color change if you were lean or rich, since the inner wall gets all the heat, the outer layer is the show layer!

Yeah, with a nice little black layer around the base ring of the plug, and white insulator, sounds like you are spot on. Does the throttle fade any in near redline??
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Seems to me that you came on here asking jetting suggestions, then shot down everyone's suggestions since you thought everything was currently good? I don't get it. Seems all you REALLY wanted was for someone to say, "Your setup should be just about right."

As TC stated, the stock pipes are double walled, but will still blue if the bike is running too lean. If you want to see if it's lean, go take a run up to 7-8k rpm and chop the throttle. As it's slowing down.. does it pop and backfire? No? Then leave it alone since the mileage is good.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by hbonser View Post
            I have to respectfully disagree with vacuum timing advance negating the need for re-jetting at altitude. Timing advance has nothing to do with how much air/fuel is mixed and sucked into the engine. As we know, timing is critical to the overall performance of the engine, and ours was ahead of it's time in this regard. But timing advance never was nor will be able to compensate for lack of oxygen in the air, and the subsequent surplus of fuel through the fixed jets in a carburetor at altitude.
            I apologize. I coulda sworn I had read something about that last year, but I did a bunch of reading today and determined that I am totally wrong. High altitude causes a lean condition. Totally white plugs are too lean. They should be sightly tan.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

High altitude causes a lean condition.

High altitude SHOULD cause a rich condition. Less oxygen in the same volume of "air".

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                High altitude SHOULD cause a rich condition. Less oxygen in the same volume of "air".

Tod
                I'm battin' 1000 here today... Yeah, Altitude = rich.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                X